Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

SpyFlysDOTs

Fight Info
Do part 135 carriers train their pilots how to lift bags?
Do they encourage you to buddy lift?
Is it the co pilots job to handle the bags?
Do they supply you with a back belt?

Do part 135 carriers train their pilots how to lift bags?

Mine did, yes.

Do they encourage you to buddy lift?

Yes.

Is it the co pilots job to handle the bags?

Nobody's specifically assigned the task; either one (or both) may end up doing it.

Do they supply you with a back belt?

No, but they do supply me with reimbursement to bribe somebody to lift heavy things. :D

If I think I'm going to break a sweat lifting a bag, I tip a line guy to do it for me.

The heaviest lifting I've done thus far was a quadriplegic. Without the help of a straight-back chair, it's a real challenge.

I don't know about for the pilots but maybe some training for the pax. For God's sake its a Learjet not a cargo DC-10, you are going to S. Florida for two days not relocating there. I've seen a bus in Africa full of refugees with less crap.

The Baggage quiz.

Lifting a bag is not as hard as it seems. All you have to do is pick it up. Then comes the hard part. Load it.

Lifting a bag is not as hard as it seems. All you have to do is pick it up. Then comes the hard part. Load it.

Would you say getting a Hernia from lifting heavy pax bags would be a good thing?

There is such a thing as common sense, but..if specific training is not provided...

Do you think rampers at airlines get training in how to lift?

Would you say getting a Hernia from lifting heavy pax bags would be a good thing?

There is such a thing as common sense, but..if specific training is not provided...

Do you think rampers at airlines get training in how to lift?

you can't be serious? you should stick to the airlines until you grow a pair... ;)

you can't be serious? you should stick to the airlines until you grow a pair... ;)

Your funny!

I may be sensitive to this cause I did have a double when I was a child. No problems after surgery.

What I am talking about is a pilot I know that had a hernia while lifting bags, then was fired after his surgery, when cleared to go back to flying.
Just seems unfair.
No training provided on lifting, and company didn't hold his job while he was recovering, waiting for his AME to clear him.

Your funny!

I may be sensitive to this cause I did have a double when I was a child. No problems after surgery.

What I am talking about is a pilot I know that had a hernia while lifting bags, then was fired after his surgery, when cleared to go back to flying.
Just seems unfair.
No training provided on lifting, and company didn't hold his job while he was recovering, waiting for his AME to clear him.

I think your funnier.. :)

I see your point, but it sounds more like a bad company being the problem then bad training on proper lifting techniques..

I know from lifting cargo and passengers bags for charter that lifting techniques go out the window when you have door cables in the way and limited room above you to keep your back straight. .

best advice is to say no to the lifting if you can't get help or like the others said, tip someone.. goodluck to your friend, although finding a job that treats you that well shouldn't take to long

Rampers at our airline are trained to lift bags, and even people in isle chairs.
It's not worth pulling something and being offline for who knows how long, just to get a passenger off a couple minutes sooner.
I gather that is an advantage to airline life, not having to lift anyones bags cept for your own (Which are heavy enough.)
Grass is always greener, right..Corp vs Airlines.
As for my buddy, you would think he could find work right away.
Shame part is how he was treated.
Ever story has 3 sides, right?

Latest resources

Back