Handicap

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

scottn2flying

Any suggestions on where I can locate information on training a student that is in a wheelchair? Such as, equipment needed, types of planes, and etc.

just curious.. is the student able to get a medical? or do they just want to take some lessons for the fun of flying?

scottn2flying said:
Should I have this student go get their medical first?

i don't know.. depends on what their intentions are... if they're handicapped (and depending on the handicap of course), this might be a barrier to getting a medical.. would obviously be a big let down for someone if they've invested $$ in training only to find out they will not be able to get a PPL.

in any case, doesn't hurt to ask what their intentions are, and based on their answer suggest getting a medical before proceeding...

man, yesterday i was working dispatch and a gentleman came to our self-serve pump, which is clearly visible from where i work. he gets out, and i cannot believe my eyes. the man is in a wheel chair, is missing BOTH legs above the knees, AND he's missing his left arm. all that's there is the skin colored plastic "stump" cover w/ the 2 pinchers at the end. not only was he trying to use the self serve (he ended up grounded the plane and pulling the hose over to his plane before asking for help. according to one of my bosses, he comes every so often but this was the first time he asked for help) pump, but he was flying a retractable-gear cardinal!!!! the plane was beautiful, but what this man was accomplishing was nothing short of amazing.

Latest resources

Back