Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

DGdaPilot

Parrot Head Pilot
I'm going to Orlando tomorrow with my grandparents. We're taking a Southwest flight. My grandpa is paralyzed from the waist down = wheelchair. I was wondering if anyone knew what kind of accomodations SWA would provide? Will he have to transfer to a regular seat? Do the airlines use a special seat instead? Or, will he be able to just stay in his wheelchair? My grandma is nervous, so I'm trying to comfort her fears with some good facts.
Thanks

He will pre-board, they will transfer him from his wheelchair to a front row seat, his wheelchair will be gate checked and brought up to the jetway at his destination, where he will be transferred back to his wheelchair. Very common event.

The folks at WN are a bunch of professionals. I can assure you that they will handle the situation with dignity and care -- as if your grandfather was their own.

As a former SWA FA, I can tell you that what V1cutt said is right on. The Ops agents and Flight crews do this every day. I understand the concern, as Pondscum said they are Pro's and will do a great job. Enjoy Florida, it's great this time of year.

Well I'm back from our trip and I'm very happy to report that the SWA folks were great. They gave him the front right side aisle seat every time and they even helped me lift him into and out of his wheelchair and seat. Great job SWA! Very helpful.

Latest resources

Back