• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Hand held GPS??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I have the Garmin GPS III which is nice b/c it has E6B functions as well as vertical navigation. I wish it had extended centerlines. really the only thing it doesn't have is approaches. I am a CFI and I usually use it for situational awareness. If you are primarily a VFR pilot with a little cloud flying in between, I would recommend it. Price isn't too bad. Good Luck:)

I have a Garmin 92, which I'm very happy with, It doesn't have approaches or a map with roads and lakes, only airspaces, but thats good otherwise the little screen would be to busy. a friend of mine has an Laurance which is also very nice, but we discovered that my batteries lasted longer.

My question is: what does EB6 mean? I know what functions it contains, but what does it stand for?

Good luck!

I like the Garmin 195 - uncluttered but amazing performance.

And for the E-6B question - thank the Navy. It is the part # for the flight computer and slide rule combination. Of course, their version did not need batteries or an external power supply and accuracy could always be measured in tenths!

magellan skystar...

Consider a Magellan Skystar. I bought one back in 1999 and used it a lot for xc flights all around the midwest and loved it. Very easy to learn and even easier to operate. They are b/w screens but decent and can use either batteries or a plug. Easy to use yoke mount, too.

I suspect you might find one used on E-bay or similar auction web sites. I don't know if you can get updates for them anymore (in fact, I'm not sure Magellan is still "Magellan" or if it was bought by someone since), but most airspace doesn't change much. I always used it in conjunction with an up-to-date set of charts as back-up.

Now that I think about it, I might even be interested in selling mine because my flying club has at least vfr gps in the panel of all our planes whereas we didn't in 1999.

Fly safe!!!

I have a Lowrance Airmap 300 that I bought when I was a Freight Dog. It works great! It has the extended runway centerlines, lake, highways, restricted airspace, etc.
I don't use it any more and have considered selling it.

Latest resources

Back