Hand Held GPS

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

maverick_fp00

Hey guys and gals, I'm looking for a hand held GPS to buy. Can you all please leave some recommendations or reviews of some different models for me so I can get an idea of what I need.

Thanks,
Nick Kitchen
[email protected]

If you want a high end one, that won't cost you very much, get an Ipaq and a GPS reciever, you will get a 295+ class GPS for the price of the 195.

I am extremely happy with my Lowrance Airmap 100. I also have a Compaq iPaq set with the Pharos GPS. Check out a review on www.myplaneonline.com

The iPaq are great but the connection from the GPS to the device just plain sucks. It will come out really easy. I would say in general the handheld devices are easier to deal with in the cockpit if you need to make changes quickly. The Pocket PC devices are great if you put in a route and go but don't plan on changing things. It is a pen to use the pen in the plane unless you have a passenger that can help you. If you already own a Pocket PC I would give serious consideration to adding a GPS to it and saving some money.

- AZPilot

approaches?

Do the high-end handhelds (GPSMAP 295, of AVmap EKP-III) have approaches in ther databases? I know you can't lagally shoot an approach using a hand-held, but I wondered if they have them for situational awareness?

Re: approaches?

flyboy321 said:
Do the high-end handhelds (GPSMAP 295, of AVmap EKP-III) have approaches in ther databases? I know you can't lagally shoot an approach using a hand-held, but I wondered if they have them for situational awareness?

I am not aware of one that does this. I know some of the Pocket PC based software should support this in the near future.

Check out:
http://www.anywheremap.com/anywhere/
http://www.gonavgps.com/

I'm selling my garmin 295 on ebay right now, and I can confirm they don't have approaches loaded.

*edit* im an idiot. hehe worst part about the internet...

Last edited:
Garmin 295

That's funny . . . my 295 has approaches. As stated above, not legal for IFR but absolutely fantastic for situational awareness. I use is all the time in conjunction with all the approved methods.
Highly recommended.

*whips out his garmin* yikes...hehe too bad this sat in my bag my entire instrument training...the dual 430's helped ;)

Garmin 195

I suggest the Garmin 195. I have used one for over 4 years and it is great. A little less expensive than the 295 if you don't mind black and white. Can be had for about $800, but I've seen them cheaper used and on ebay.

Is there such a thing as a gps that works in an aircraft, but also has street maps for auto use? Like a separate database for aeronautical use and one for ground nav. Thanks for the help.

Latest resources

Back