HAL hiring 2014

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

mkingmei

It has been a couple of weeks since the HAL FO position closed... any info on when interviews are going to start, If they haven't already?!

heard over 1200 applicants... only 50 got called for an interview... they start on the 20th and go till the 25th i believe... currently hiring for 12 slots all on the 717... they will open the hiring everytime there is a vacancy bid so if it didn't happen this time around you'll have another shot and another shot and another shot etc...

Hang in there. It took me a couple of years just to get the first phone call. It's worth the wait. Good luck!!!

I'm happy to see HA is hiring and I hope those that truly want to work there get a good shot. If you interview and don't make it, at least you get semi-paid vacation (if you're not too stressed thinking about TMAAT stories in your hotel). Can I assume that most of the folks interested in HA are single or have yet to have a family? I've heard the public schools are kind of nerve-wracking for mainlanders. Private schools may be a necessesity? I know the HA folks are extremely proud and I am just curious, don't shoot!

To answer your comment/question on whether most people interested in Hawaiian are single. I've been interested in Hawaiian Airlines for quite some time, married with children. If I got the job offer, wouldn't hesitate to move back. Lived in Kailua several years ago and can't wait to return. In response to your comment about the schools, there are some great public schools. My children were young when we were there and I attribute much of their success to their experiences with Kama'aina kids preschool and Mokapu elementary. James Campbell, Waialua, Kalani, Kalaheo, Henry Kaiser, Mililani HS and a bunch others have a lot to offer. The websites are usually chock full of info showing lots of AP classes, sports, clubs, etc. It's a wonderful place.

I'm happy to see HA is hiring and I hope those that truly want to work there get a good shot. If you interview and don't make it, at least you get semi-paid vacation (if you're not too stressed thinking about TMAAT stories in your hotel). Can I assume that most of the folks interested in HA are single or have yet to have a family? I've heard the public schools are kind of nerve-wracking for mainlanders. Private schools may be a necessesity? I know the HA folks are extremely proud and I am just curious, don't shoot!

You raise a point worth commenting on.....is it right for married folks over here. Plenty of families have moved here and loved it. Some don't. I would say the key point is if your married make sure your wife is onboard with the decision. Like anything in a marriage if you make it a joint decision, I.E. You and your wife are both into moving to Hawaii, as many are, it's a great deal. If the spouse isn't into it, it can cause problems. It can be very hard for a wife moving here and away from family if she is use to being around her family while your off flying.
It can also be a fun adventure for a few years and then when you have enough seniority on the wide body there are plenty of places that are easy to commute too and also get layovers at home.

i would say the amount of single pilots is pretty low... i'm not a commuter but the ones that i know of that have families seem to be ok with it...
i was born and raised here so i'm extremely biased but yes... this place is killer... if you can handle being on an island and excepting the fact that everything cost more than on the mainland... public schools here are hit and miss... i went to both... as the previous poster said there are some great public schools... private is a great way to go here if you can afford it (20k/yr)...
right now HA has jsut over 600 pilots... they want it to be 1000 pilots in 3 years or so...
they are looking for pilots that WANT to be here and that aren't just here to kill time until someone else calls... so far they have been pretty good about picking guys that stay around... they are currently doing small bits of hiring mostly for retirements and new plane delieveries... when the 321s come and later the 330neos then the hiring is gonna be crazy... best of luck to those that apply... its hard to beat this lifestyle...

If you interview and don't make it, at least you get semi-paid vacation

Nope. You've got to get yourself over here and you are responsible for housing during the interview. I *think* they've changed the process so it's just one day now, but in the past it was 2 days and often times had an off day (while they interviewed other people) in the middle.

I'm happy to see HA is hiring and I hope those that truly want to work there get a good shot. If you interview and don't make it, at least you get semi-paid vacation (if you're not too stressed thinking about TMAAT stories in your hotel). Can I assume that most of the folks interested in HA are single or have yet to have a family? I've heard the public schools are kind of nerve-wracking for mainlanders. Private schools may be a necessity? I know the HA folks are extremely proud and I am just curious, don't shoot!

From what I've seen , it seems the majority of new hires I've seen are married, maybe 50% have moved over, the other 50% commute... at last count, we're at 25% of our pilots commuting from mainland and another 15% from neighbor islands.. As a matter of fact, we just had a senior captain living on the Big Island move to Alaska (I know of two pilots living in AK now)... we've got pilots living all over the place, from New Hampshire to Tokyo, the Mid West to other parts of Asia.. The easiest commutes are always going to be your SEA, PDX, SFO (area), LAX/SAN, PHX and LAS and JFK since there is non-stop HAL service to those cities/areas. With improved trip rigs and work rules coming it will only get easier.. of course you'll never have the best QOL unless you live at base, but for some of us that's not an option.

Latest resources

Back