• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

gust factor

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Double the ref speed, add half the number of pax, divide by which day of the trip you're on. You can't go wrong doing that.

Depends on what your approved AFM says. I believe most 121 operations in large aircraft use: VREF + ½ the steady state wind + all the gust(not to exceed VREF + 20 knots.)

The AIM says it differently when dealing with approach categories:
5-4-7. Instrument Approach Procedures
a. Aircraft approach category means a grouping of aircraft based on a speed of VREF, if specified, or if VREF not specified, 1.3 VSO at the maximum certificated landing weight. VREF, VSO, and the maximum certificated landing weight are those values as established for the aircraft by the certification authority of the country of registry. Helicopters are Category A aircraft. An aircraft must fit in only one category. Pilots are responsible for determining and briefing which category minimums will be used for each instrument approach. If a higher approach speed is used on final that places the aircraft in a higher approach category, the minimums for the higher category must be used. Approaches made with inoperative flaps, circling approaches at higher-than normal straight-in approach speeds, and approaches made in icing conditions for some types of airplanes are all examples of situations that can necessitate the use of a higher approach category. See the following category limits:
1. Category A: Speed less than 91 knots.
2. Category B: Speed 91 knots or more but less than 121 knots.
3. Category C: Speed 121 knots or more but less than 141 knots.
4. Category D: Speed 141 knots or more but less than 166 knots.
5. Category E: Speed 166 knots or more.
NOTE-
V[SIZE=-1]REF[/SIZE] is the reference landing approach speed, usually about 1.3 times V[SIZE=-1]SO[/SIZE] plus 50 percent of the wind gust speed in excess of the mean wind speed (See 14 CFR Section 23.73). V[SIZE=-1]SO[/SIZE] is the stalling speed or the minimum steady flight speed in the landing configuration at maximum weight (See 14 CFR Section 23.49).

What???

Haven't you guys ever seen the benchmark training movie on this subject? It's called "10 Knots for Mom and the Kids".

First produced in about 1954, at the dawning of the jet age, this classic has apparently not made it's way to FSI...;)

Last edited:
My company (121 CRJ) uses Ref + 1/2 the gust factor or Ref + 5, whichever is higher. No correction for steady state.

Just my $.02

Maybe I'm stupid, but why would you add to ref for steady state wind? Do the manuals that show that give you shorter RW numbers for landing with a headwind? I hope not.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back