Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

enigma

good ol boy
Who is really pushing to keep guns out the cockpit, and why?

One hint, it wasn't law enforcement.

Federales, and management. Both would be held accountable when Captain Psychotic goes berserk and shoots his ex-lover flight attendant at Hotpants Airlines. Pan Am had a pilot put her in a wood chipper. It could happen. (But I still want guns in the cockpit!)

It's the Communists!
No, it's the Fascists!
Anarchists!
Existentialists!

But seriously, I think it'sthe conspiracy theorists that are ruining this county.

(that's a joke, folks)

Last edited:
It's simply the liberal hand-wringers in Congress who can't bear to admit that they've identified a valid need for firearms outside of law enforcement. Hopefully they can park the partisan politics before anyone else gets killed. This is a national security issue- it's not to be confused with the Second Amendment or the left's "proliferation of guns" fears.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Nope! Incorrect on all counts above. It's the airlines. It's a cost issue, folks. It costs money to have the training, manuals, and the guns themselves.

Sorry folks, it just comes down to money.

I dont know, but I think the major costs involved would probably be the training.

Possibly some federally funded grants could cover the overhead costs of this, and I am sure that the pilots who seriously want this would be able to do the training on their own time. I doubt the pilots pushing this are doing so for an extra paid day off every couple months....

Ali
who thinks there are a few more "windows" to open even if the "door" is closed...

2nd amendment

Of course it's a seccond amendment issue. If there were not a second amendment issue in this country we wouldn't even be discussing guns in the cockpit; they would have been there already and some 3,000 lost souls would most likely still be alive.
Assinine government-think.

enigma said:
Who is really pushing to keep guns out the cockpit, and why?

One hint, it wasn't law enforcement.

According to a press release from the Airline Pilots Security Alliance, the main lobbying force against the TSA allowing guns in the cockpit (which by the way, is legal according to the law that established the TSA.) was......................................

Drum roll please,

The Air Transport Association.

It seems that the ATA has been trying to limit Captains authority for years and they saw guns in the cockpit as a step in the opposite direction; therefore they lobbied the Bush Administration vigorously against allowing guns in the cockpit.

http://www.secure-skies.org

Actually, it's the President. It seems a bit strange, since he was the one that got the Texas CC permit law passed, but also Mineta, who used to be an anti-gun congressman, and the new head of the TSA, all say guns are a bad idea. I agree with Enigma, and think it's a good idea, but with all these repubicans against us, I don't see how it will ever happen. It's funny that the law allowing guns was passed by congress, which is mostly run by Democrats these days. Perhaps there is some deal going on where they agreed to never let it actually happen.

Latest resources

Back