Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

TAG2

Goldmember
I am reseaching the Electronic Flight Bags in the Gulfstreams. What I am finding out is that they are not FAA approved for the manufacturer, even the integral system on the Plane View Systems. Gulfstream is getting approval to lower minimums with the EVS system but can't get JeppView approved? I don't get it.

Are any of you guys using these? Are you just getting an LOA from your local FSDO's? I cannot believe that operators are also carrying paper or printing out all needed charts. I know that certain FSDO's will approve these, even for 135. Any insight?

I print out (2 per page) all plates where we are going. Its much easier to use, takes 2 mins, and you just toss them after trip is over.

We also carry an entire NOS set that fits nicely at the bottom of a closet. takes 5 mins to update and again, just toss em out. these are just a backup to the EFB. then again we are not short of room really so we dont mind...

The EFB stays on behind us, programmed for destinations and alternates. On it is also manuals, Ultranav, canned W&B's etc.....

I didn't create this routine, but I know operators who do the same, and I must say it works just fine!!

I still like a paper airport diagram to find my way around (RJAA,VHHH, etc...) the EFB, as great as they are, can be cumbersome to pass back and forth when needed. I would not like to "work" off the EFB at busy foreign airports.

IN my opinion, being 100% paperless would be more work than printing off jeppview. All I like the EFB for is that you always have a 100% correct, all there, updated, world subscription.

just an idea.

G200 - Are there NOS type charts available for countries other than the US? I have never used anything but paper Jepps. Looking to convert some of our coverage to JeppView but would be more comfortable with a cheap paper backup in the closet for an unexpected diversion.

Gulfstream 200 said:
I still like a paper airport diagram to find my way around (RJAA,VHHH, etc...) the EFB, as great as they are, can be cumbersome to pass back and forth when needed. I would not like to "work" off the EFB at busy foreign airports.

So, am I reading it correctly, that you guys only carry one EFB? If so, then you will always be required to carry charts - since you will have to have a backup. I'm with one of the frax(I'm sure you can guess which one), and we've been using the EFB's for about 4 years or so. They do screw up on occasion, but only once have I had BOTH fail simultaneously...and that was during the early days of Jeppview/EFB's. It was a programming glitch. I haven't had both fail at the same time ever again. That was when they were so new we were still carrying a full backup of paper charts. <by fail, I mean lock up like your computer would...they are windows based....thus requiring a reboot>

EFB's

The new Gulfstreams with the Plane View have the JeppView incorporated into the system, so there are no external display units. The charts are brought up on one of the tube displays. If you have to carry a paper world wide subscription service, I don't see the advantage.

I know Flight Options has had their Fujitsu EFB's approved by the Rochester FSDO, so I just don't understand why Mother Gulfstream can't get the systems approved that come as standard equipment.

Yes, NOS plates are avail for other parts of the world - but not the whole world...Im not sure of the coverage.

Tells you how often I look at them.!!

And YES, we carry ONE EFB. Also have Jeppview on aircraft computer. Can always get up and go print a plate of two if needed. Never had to.

I like EFB's - I just dont personally like working off them for airport diagrams and complex sids/stars (when verifying they are in the box.)

I'm in G550 school now and I'll try not to screw this up--this comes from the ground school instructor at FSI.

The Jepps on Planeview should be approved in the upcoming "mini-cert"(I'm not sure when it's supposed to happen. I'll snoop around tomorrow.)

My department is planning to carry laptops with Jeppview as a backup when this all happens.

If I find out anything more or a correction to the above, I'll let everyone know.TC

P.S.--There were some FA's from NetJets going through school last week. They were HOT. In a skanky sort of way. You know, good skanky...:p

good skanky!! -- my favorite kind!

I Love it!!

:D :D

No word on the Jeppview, but the skanks are gone--on the line at NJI...:(

Oh, well, I'll just have to cruise the bars in LaRomana, D.R....TC

Latest resources

Back