Guatemala - Aurora

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

PA31Ho

Anybody been here recently? I am going in a B200 from Tampa with a stop in Merida, Mexico first. Then the owner wants to go nonstop from Guatemala to Gainesville, FL..... phew! Just wondering if anybody can give me some good advice before I head out there mid-May.

Thanks!

May I suggest you Google Earth - MGGT - or 14°35'1.00"N 90°31'33.99"W

Get Very, Very familiar with the terrain, full of tall Volcanos, Steep cliffs etc. Plan on Full instrument approaches, even in VFR conditions (probably safer anyway). Approach controllers are OK, Their english is fairly good.

It is a very busy airport stay alert. Weather can change quickly, have a good alternate, preferably in a US friendly country. May I suggest San Jose Costa Rica - MROC -(very nice). Also, if you can plan, a daytime arrival. Give a choice I wouldn't consider a nightime arrival, especially in lousy weather.

Follow departure procedures to the letter, big mountains all over the place and you need to plan accordingly.

If you stay overnight in a hotel, do not be supprised by Armed Guards on every floor. Keep a low profile, remember this is a country in some turmoil.

Bring a camera, the place is quite amazing.

Questions msg me.

P.S. If a guy come up to you at the FBO and tries to sell you coffee from his farm in the hills, he is for real, it is some of the best coffee i've ever had!

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back