Guardian Flight Inc., Fairbanks, AK

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

sleddriver71

Does anyone have experience with Guardian Flight based out of Fairbanks, AK? I am curious about:

1)schedule
2)pay
3)housing
4)commuting assistance
5)aircraft avionics
6)any part 91 legs? (are flights with medical crew onboard all part 135?)

Thanks for your input everyone.

Here it is…. 3 Lears, 6 King Airs, 1 Astar and in the process of getting a Caravan going in Dillingham. Current schedules are 2 on 2 off. On your 2 on you will be 12hrs on 12hrs off, 12am – 12pm. Avionics are for the most part moving map garmins and the usual TAWS, some TCAS etc. Medics are always onboard for revenue flights and empty legs can be 135 / 91. 1st year King Air pay (Captain) is 56k and first year FO pay I believe is 40k. This includes full benefits. If you are based in SIT, DUT or OTZ they airline you to and from home within Alaska. KTN, ANC and FAI are typically home based and considered more senior bases. King Airs are in FAI, DUT, OTZ, ANC and SIT. There is currently talk of changing the schedule to 20/10. Needless to say this does not sit too well with most of the pilots due to more time away from home and family. I believe they have their fill for the next class (September / October) We recently got a new CP and DO and needless to say a slew of changes etc. Overall a pretty good gig but we will see what the new schedule and management brings.

Flyer31, thank-you very much for the post. A couple more questions for you. Are all the fixed wings 2 pilot crews or just the Lears? In regards to the 135/91 question, if we dropped off the patient and are heading back to base with just the pilot(s) and med crew but no patient, is that a part 135 or 91 leg with Guardian Flight? The reason I ask is based on duty time, I believe they can have you go over 14 hours if it's a part 91 leg. Any idea on upgrade times from FO to Captain? Do they only help commuters within Alaska or would they commute me from Washington state? Thanks again.

All fixed wings are two crew. Upgrades depend on the need for captains. Could be 6 months to a year or two. Part 135 all the way. You could do a 91 leg at the end of your duty time to relocate if it turns out to be a long day. (more than 10 hours flight time within 14 hour duty day – two crew) It is at pilot discretion to relocate after such ours flown. If you need to get a hotel and take 10 hours no one will fault you. As far as the company being sold, not so. It is still owned and operated by Dr. Sterling (the original founder). Due to growth (another Lear, helicopter and now a Caravan in Dillingham) and other business changes Guardian got a couple of investors onboard. What exactly the dynamics are around this I am not sure.

Almost missed the commuting question. Depends on where you are based they will pay your ticket either to ANC or SEA. Typically in anything other than SIT or KTN they will only buy your ticket to ANC. Again, depending on your base and what you negotiate on your interview, they might get you to SEA. Word is they are working on CASS. Not sure when and how but will see what happens.

Woulda joined up two years ago if they had CASS. Back then they said jumpseating was 'in the works'. Too bad the new investors are pushing for 20/10.

CASS, time will tell..... 20/10, looks like it's not going to happen for a while but we shall see.... Lot of changes going on these days.

From some online reading, looks like things arent going all that well since being bought by Eagle Air Med.

Latest resources

Back