Guard Guys

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

CFI33

I see a few of you have recently been approved by the NGB for your FY03 slots. I also have a FY03 slot and my paperwork is sitting at the NGB waiting for my clearance to be approved. I was wondering if you guys could share how long your clearance took to be approved. Also, did you know when the investigation was opened? Congrats to all of you who recieved your approval and dates. Waiting sucks, but hopefully things will start to happen for me soon. Thanks.

I have a few questions for you: When were you selected(month), how long has your paperwork been in the processing pool and did you have any waivers?

I was just selected for FY04 back in Sept. and I just completed my IFC1a last week during drill and I expect that I won't need a waiver for anything. I haven't been told much, but they did say that it was a realistic possibility that I could be at AMS for the May 19th class; is this possible? It sounds like the process is backed up with security clearances. BTW I overheard someone at the unit say that one of the guys selected for FY03 just got notice that everything was approved and that his AMS class date is in Jan.

another question about slots

If you are an airline pilot to begin with, who has had several 10-15 year background checks as a civilian, would that expedite the NGB security check? Just curious if that would put someone in that situation ahead of the game. I know the system is currently backlogged.

Any thoughts?

Viperguy

WinstonPilot: I was selected Nov. 01. Paperwork complete around Feb-Mar 02. No waivers. It might be possible for you to get in the May AMS class, but I think its pretty unlikely. From my experience with the timeline, I think a lot of things would have to fall just right for you to get there that soon.

Viperguy: I really don't know if airline background check would expedite the security process. I would assume the airline would go through some private agency for there check, which wouldn't seem to have any bearing on the security clearance for the NGB. But again, I don't know.

Viperguy,

It's been a long time, but an airline background check didn't expedite anything for me. I went to the group commander (who flew at the same airline) and he said it was no help at all.

Put some rounds down range for a retired guy! Fly safe!

Slim

Viperguy,

If you're talking about airline background checks, no. They have nothing to do with DOD clearances.

But if you previously held a DOD clearance as a government employee or contractor, then yes it would help you. If your clearance is still valid (10 years for secret, 5 for TS) you will get approved very quickly. If your clearance is expired you can still get an interim clearance relatively quickly, but would go into the stack with everyone else for your periodic reinvestigation.

DSS is severely backlogged, don't count on anything having to do with a clearance to be finished quickly.

Good luck.

T1bubba

If coming from different DOD component with secret is it just an admin re-adjudication? If TS not current, do you have to get a new one before starting T-38 or before showing up at RTU?

If your last investigation is still valid for the clearance you're seeking, then it would go straight to adjudication with your new service.

You don't need a TS for SUPT. They don't teach any classified tactics/weapons until later on. Not sure about clearance requirements for the RTU, but if any of them do require a TS then I'm sure you could get by with an interim, otherwise people would be sitting for years waiting on their clearance.

T1bubba

Troll said:
If coming from different DOD component with secret is it just an admin re-adjudication? If TS not current, do you have to get a new one before starting T-38 or before showing up at RTU?

T-38 students will start the TS paperwork though (to initiate the background investigations). Additional clearance paperwork will depend on your gaining unit's mission.

Latest resources

Back