• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Guard dudes:

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
We had a guy who came to our unit to join the unit as a loadmaster. He had a simular case. He did not tell the squadron commander and the Chief Loadmaster he kept the story of having issues with his ROTC at his school. When he applied he kept that out of his resume and application. What happend was when he joined the unit another student at his school joined our gaurd unit. Once the word got out he was asked about it. His reply was he was sorry for what he had done, but the Squdron commander felt that if he hides things now, what will happen down the road. His is still in our unit, but will never get a pilot slot.

C-5

That's just retarded. There is no taboo involved with doing ROTC and seeking a Guard/Reserve slot. Unless you are on scholarship and/or about to contract, it's your d%amn prerrogative. That said, I see no reason one would go out of the way to "hide" the fact that one did/does/plans to do ROTC for the sake of getting a pilot slot. Everybody knows Guard/Reserve is a different beast than the AD (and if one does one's homework early, ROTC figures as a waste of time soon enough), so for a unit to hold ROTC against someone is highly unlikely and honestly suspect. What your buddy probably made clear regarding this topic is that people should be more careful about enlisting for the sake of a pilot's slot. If he/she needed the money for college perhaps, although even that I can argue some alternate avenues for; seems to me he just was disingenous in enlisting and didn't play the part well and got burned, ROTC probably didn't have as much to do with it.

You can quit ROTC today, not get hired by a Guard unit tomorrow and get an OTS spot the next day and none of the preceeding would affect your ability to do the next one. Bottom line, apply, hope for an interview and have an OTS application ready if you're getting older and the Guard isn't biting. Or alternatively do ROTC and hope to get a Guard slot prior to contracting (a little more risky but doable).

frog flyer,

herr ober was just saying that you might not want to call ams "field training" when you go to an interview at the guard. it is something that the guard babies might not like. (by "guard babies" i mean dudes who grew up in the guard, not active duty weenies like me who are transplants to the guard.) having seen both sides of the fence, i would definately suggest the guard route. but, like many people have said on this forum, it is getting harder to find a unit with slots right now. we had at least twenty interviewees for our last upt board (herr ober, didnt you sit on the last board?) if that is what you want to do, start pursuing it yesturday! if you have a buddy in any unit, start there with that person walking you through to the bosses and others during a drill weekend. knowing someone in the unit helps tremendously!

I was not on our last board. I was the comic relief for the nervious applicants while they waited in the crud room.

hey dude..I've imed you before over at jetcareers..anyhow I commissioned through rotc right into the guard last year..they were allowing it at the time. Its possible. Like we have talked about..there are pros and cons either way..you just gotta make up your mind..no sure bets. Just make a decision and bust your ass and it will all work out

going awesome...extremely busy as we are behind the timeline with the ********************ty WX..Im sorry i'm slow to reply..ill PM you later

Latest resources

Back