Guard and Reserve deployments

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

hogdriver00

Anyone been deployed or know anyone that has Been deployed from a corporate flight department? How did it go with the employer?

NBAA had a good article a few weeks ago about the Federal law. Has anyone had to use it?

Hog

Our company hold itself out as a big supporter of the military. When one of our pilots had to deplay the company treated him well. Of course being gone for a year doesn't help a persons progression within the company. He missed out on some type ratings and fell behind in progression. Time doesn't stand still while you are gone.

Currently on mil leave from a corporate job and have been gone since Oct 05, the employer fully supported, i.e. the President of the company even came down for my UPT graduation. That being said what sleepy said is true, being gone definitely didn't help my progression in the company. It is a pretty small flight department and they have ended up just using contract guys to fill the gap till I get back.

We recently had one of our pilots deployed. He has only been with the company for a little over a year. Our company has taken it in stride and has treated the pilot very well. The rest of the pilots have had to pick up the slack with no complaining. We all hope he returns soon and safely!

Userra

Our company hold itself out as a big supporter of the military. When one of our pilots had to deplay the company treated him well. Of course being gone for a year doesn't help a persons progression within the company. He missed out on some type ratings and fell behind in progression. Time doesn't stand still while you are gone.

Did USERRA come up at all?

agreed, according to userra you should not 'miss out on some type ratings and advancements.' it is supposed to be an escalator, meaning you come back to where you would have been if you hadn't left, not a spot frozen in time when you did leave. probably harder on small operators but it is the law. now, getting it enforced short of a lawsuit (yuck) maybe not so easy.

Deployment:

We have the potential to have one of our pilots deployed. He is ready, we have made preparations...so we will see how it goes. Our company is fully supportive of the situation and I fully expect that all will go well. Obviously we are all praying for his successful return.

agreed, according to userra you should not 'miss out on some type ratings and advancements.' it is supposed to be an escalator, meaning you come back to where you would have been if you hadn't left, not a spot frozen in time when you did leave. probably harder on small operators but it is the law. now, getting it enforced short of a lawsuit (yuck) maybe not so easy.

Yes, it is the law. However, what is the employer to do? If they need somebody to train on an aircraft while someone is deployed, they have to send the person that is available.

Latest resources

Back