Guard 121.5

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

densoo

Anyone have reference for the FAR requirement to monitor. My company removed the domestic requirement from the operating manual and I want to get it put back in.

Anyone have reference for the FAR requirement to monitor. My company removed the domestic requirement from the operating manual and I want to get it put back in.

It wasn't a requirement at my old company. Company policy was to keep the corresponding VHF freq on #2 for dispatch to Selcal us.

It wasn't a requirement at my old company. Company policy was to keep the corresponding VHF freq on #2 for dispatch to Selcal us.

It became a requirement there after SOC with ASA.

At my current company, it used to be one pilot had to monitor it above 18K. Now, the new wAAy is that 121.5 must be monitored any time the #2 radio is not be used for something else (Ops, ATIS, Oceanic Clearance, etc).

Domestically, you're not missing much on Guard. Trust me.

It became a requirement there after SOC with ASA.

At my current company, it used to be one pilot had to monitor it above 18K. Now, the new wAAy is that 121.5 must be monitored any time the #2 radio is not be used for something else (Ops, ATIS, Oceanic Clearance, etc).

Domestically, you're not missing much on Guard. Trust me.
I still do it as AA. It would be nice to hear the call on guard to not cross that runway. After 9/11 it was in the manual and a focus item on evals. If I recall the UHF radio in the military had an ATC+Guard position on the wafer switch so you could monitor both on one radio head.

Last edited:
121.5 is serious business. Believe me, if I catch anyone calling ops, or making a PA on guard, you will know about it!

121.5 is serious business. Believe me, if I catch anyone calling ops, or making a PA on guard, you will know about it!

Oh, so it's you! I wonder if a guard meltdown has ever daisy chained coast to coast 100-200 miles at a time?

In 92 (after I lost my first "last job in aviation") I was ferrying a C172 for a friend of mine from Florida to Dominican Republic when after a fuel stop the oil pressure started dropping..., long story short I wasn't able to reach Miami center (there was a communication blind spot after Staniel Key, or at lest there was back in those days) but I was able to get in touch with a Dominicana airlines FE that was on listening watch in 121.5, they forwarded my location to the coast guard and I was rescued a couple of hours after I had to ditch, so as you can imagine I'm a big advocate for monitoring 121.5.....!

Latest resources

Back