Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

RedDogC130

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33975636/ns/local_news-greenville_sc/

Greenville Spartanburg International Airport is still in serious negotiations with Southwest Airlines, despite the company’s decision to start service in Panama City, Fla., according to airport spokeswoman Rosilyn Weston.
“It was never an either or," said Weston.

The number of travelers is down for the second year in a row at GSP, while the price of flights continued to climb. GSP was recently named by the U.S. Bureau of Transportation Statistics as one of the most expensive airports in the country. The allure of a prominent, low-cost carrier has never been more appealing according to travelers.
“I hear Southwest, I think cost savings, said Amy Sutter.
“The good news is those talks continue. The door is not closed,” said Weston.
The show-me-the-money approach sealed the deal in Florida. In a partnership that Southwest chief executive Gary Kelly called the first of its kind, St. Joe Co. will subsidize at least the first two years of Southwest's service from Northwest Florida Panama City Airport.
The private real estate developer, St. Joe, will guarantee that Southwest at least breaks even on the Panama City service, but it can terminate the agreement if its payments to Southwest exceed $14 million in the first year or $12 million in the second year. Southwest can end the service if it proves to be a huge flop, Kelly said.
GSP isn’t naming any high rollers willing to offer incentives to land Southwest but it isn’t ruling out the possibility.
“We’re taking it one step at a time. We may come to a similar arrangement like in Florida, but we’re not at that point yet,” said Weston.
She also confirmed the airport has started a dialogue with JetBlue, AirTran, and Frontier Airlines.
“We haven’t put all our eggs in one basket,” said Weston

Believe it or not that entire area of I-85 in SC is expected to grow exponentially by 2025 due to several new manufacturing ventures in the area.

Not to mention metro Atlanta's boom from the failed '96 Olympics is over as several Fortune 500 companies have bailed this decade.

GSP was recently named by the U.S. Bureau of Transportation Statistics as one of the most expensive airports in the country. The allure of a prominent, low-cost carrier has never been more appealing according to travelers.

Why not go there, take the incentives and keep the fares relatively high? Just because WN flies there shouldn't mean a guaranteed lowest fare, maybe just a little lower.

I live down the road from the airport.
"The number of travelers is down for the second year in a row at GSP,"
The airport needs to lower their costs in order to attract another carrier. Most folks drive to either CLT or ATL.

Just think of the "double wide" minded individuals that we can introduce to your community. It will be great job security for local law enforcement!

Latest resources

Back