• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Gulfstream 200

Database Expert
OK.

going to get a GSM phone.
anybody currently using one for Intl' travel?

Have tried Nextel and TMobile with good service with both, anybody use these (or others) abroad frequently?

Thanks

G200

I flew with a FE buddy that had a T-mobile GSM and loved it. We used it from Belgium, Scotland, Kuwait, and the UAE. Most of the time we were "under the influence" when we used it, so I can't remember the quality of the calls, but it was cheaper than a calling card!

I've got AT&T. Their domestic GSM coverage still leaves much to be desired but it works great internationally. (I have another AT&T phone on a domestic account (non GSM) and I leave the GSM phone onboard the airplane.

I think you can get a dual mode phone so you can use GSM when its available, and the normal AT&T Network if GSM is not available.

OK I bite. What is a GSM phone. Is it satellite or higher form of digita?

I remeber a while back Motorola was trying the irudium satellite phones. Same principle?

Global Standard for Mobile Communications.

great huh? yep, not sure how it works either and dont really care. All I know is that it works great overseas! rates are from .99 - 4.99 / min all over the world. The benefit is that you just dial direct to the states, no operators, local access, hotel charge, etc... and you can be reached by people just dialing your number. even better is that it is starting to work in the US but..seems the good ole USA is far behind inthe cellular technology...for once..

The phones I have used were tri-band (900/1800/1900?) but I HEAR from one of our gurus that a 4 mode deal is coming...maybe that incorporates CDMA also.?

IM just curious as to everyones experiences as to who I should sign up with...

Im leaning Tmobile just because Catherine Zeta Jones is so g'dam HOT.

:D :D

GSM'ing

I went w/the AT&T deal about 10 months ago. I did the unlimited plan for 99 smackers. It works great in London/Paris. It actually works better overseas then it does around the NY/NJ area..go figure..

The funny thing is that the operators here seem to tout GSM as the future.....while the rest of the world is switching to 3g and putting GSM behind. Looks like in 10 years we are going to be in the same situation we are in now - GSM in the US, 3g in the rest of the world.

If i am headed overseas for any length of time for like a couple of days. What I like to do is go to a news stand and buy a local sim card (the card that inserts into the GSM phone). Make sure you have a Tri mode gsm band 850,1800,1900. This will cover you in all cases. Since 1900 is only usa. Still though some companys tout a gsm phone but it's only 1900 making it unsuable overseas.

I keep a local sim card when i'm making calls back to the states. You can recharge the sim card at any shops and just enter the number on the card and it puts another 50 bucks on the sim.

I also use ATT international calling. They send you a sim card for 25 bucks and you can use it overseas. That way you can recieve calls from the states on your cell phone. Only problem is if you get a call and it goes to the voicemail you still get charged. Thats a pain in the rear.

Tmobile offers a good plan. Currently I'm waiting for a GAIT phone to come out from att. They have the t62u but i'm not impressed. Gait is amps, digital, gsm, and tdma. That covers all spectrums which is what we really need as pilots who go to bfe.

G200:

I'm very happy with my Siemens S46 GSM phone w/AT&T. Works very well in Europe - I've spent lots of time over there recently. Even has internet if you get really bored. No extra mnthly fee for the int'l service, until you start using it ofcourse. Coverage is actually weaker in the US if you're in some remote places. All in all does the job well: it even locates the new network automatically when you step off the plane!

TooLow

Latest resources

Back