Grumman Yankee AA1A

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

districtpilot

Anyone know how the interior cockpit space of a Grumman Yankee AA1A compares to a Cessna 150. Flown a 150 before, not a Yankee.
Thanks.

Hey thanks a lot I figured as much, I am looking to buy a small single and think I have decided on the Grumman Yankee.

I learned to fly in an AA1B and used to instruct in them. If you can fly the Grumman well, all the Cessnas and Pipers will be a piece of cake.

I was very impressed with the Yankee the first time I flew it. I don't think there's much competition from the the 150 if you look at cruise speed. The Yankee is faster sleeker and much more sporting. Although if you are looking for a low cost, bullet proof trainer, you can't go wrong with the 150.

Thanks for that link crash proof, I read it last night. I'm definately falling in love with the Yankee. I am a FedEx caravan pilot and am being transferred to a town that on average rents apartments for about 900 less than I currently pay, so am finally going to have enough money to buy an airplane. I am still CFI current and my wife wants to learn to fly. I think this is the perfect airplane for our needs.

Go for the Grumman!

Owned a AA-1c T-cat and AA-1A Yankee as well as a Tiger and Twin Cougar. They are the only non-acro birds I enjoyed owning. I soloed in the AA-1C and loved to open the cockpit in flight!

Also, the resale on Grummans are nice. Probably break even or make a buck or two. Look up the Grumman Gang on the internet of the American Yankee Association for more info

Two thumbs up!

They are flat out more fun than a 150. I think from a training perspective, you become more foot aware with the Yankee, you can fly if I remember right with the canopy slightly open, visability is a gas, and it has a certain aura to it. I really liked the 4 place Tiger when we started but ended up bying a Cherokee 180 to learn instead. We intended and did transition right through the Piper line- Arrow- Aztec-Navajo/.

I think I'm actually looking to buy the AA1 1969 to 1971 models. It's my understanding that they are about 10 kts faster. The trade off I understand is undesirable stall characteristics, but thats OK stalls used to be my specialty when I was flight instructing.;)

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back