• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Princedietrich

Retired Starchecker
Also posted in the GA forum:

I was wondering if anyone could provide a fairly good SWAG as to the distance required for a Grumman Albatross to land on relatively smooth water (like a river). It doesn't have to be exact, just a good estimate.

Thanks.

around 1000ft. Some can do it shorter but 1000 was my range. It also depends if you use reverse thrust when you land.(yes the Wrights have reverse props)
Jonathan

Finally found USAF HU-16B manual (T.O. 1U-16(H)B-1), which is more conservative, says on pg. 2-25:

"When selecting an area on a river, lake, or bay for operation, the minimum usable area should not be less than 5000 feet long and 300 feet wide. If obstructions exist, takeoffs and landings should not be attempted prior to computing climbout/landing data. While an aircraft weighing 27000 pounds or less can operate from this area, a larger area will be needed for weights over 27000 lbs."

However, there are no landing distance charts for water landings. They use a 500' pattern altitude for normal water operations. But what Wacopilot says for landing squares with the hard-surface runway landing distances, can always splashdown shorter than on dry land from touchdown. They're (USAF) probably counting you want to get back of the water, eventually, with engine-out performance.

Last edited:
I would say 1000' would work but you could certainly never get off of that length. The reverse works great. I was an Albatross Examiner for a while.

IS That a single pilot airplane? Just always wanted to know.

Where did you find a HU16 manual?

Copied it when I checked out as a copilot in late 90's...haven't flown it since then, so had to dig around the garage amongst the old aviation stuff.

Albatross is a two-pilot airplane, tho' this one was modified to put some controls within easier reach of the PIC.

Latest resources

Back