Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

dispatchguy

Dad is my favorite title
I'm planning my dispatcher jumpseating and I was curious as to whats the best way (least expensive and fastest) to go between LGA and JFK.

Fly into LGA, beat feet to JFK, and launch out of JFK. 1+45 between flights.

There's a big difference between "least expensive" and "fastest" ... I know some people who've done it before to fly internationally out of JFK. The fastest way is probably by taxi ... but this will cost you $65-80. There are other options ... bus services and so forth. Go to the Port Authority web site; they have a section there devoted to transportation between airports. My mom and my brother have done LGA-JFK and EWR-JFK ground transfers before without too much difficulty. Just make sure you give yourself enough time between flights ... especially since you'll probably be profiled and have to get the cavity search!!

Tailwinds,

R

The crew rate (dispatchers might qualify) for a local car service (not Yellow Cab) will cost $15. If you share the ride, it's $15 total for all crew going to and from the same location. The total time from calling for the car to being dropped off is 30 to 60 mins. Call in as soon as you can use your cell phone on arrival and the car should be there at the curb about the time you are. This is probably your best option. Try Kew Garden car service, or Sureway. Some limo services offer a good rate.

Alternatively, there's an express bus service that leaves every half hour and costs $11. You can get crew discount tickets in bulk but you have to physically get yourself to Penn station downtown to pick them up. I haven't done this, but this might be worthwhile.

Whatever you do, unless you're truly desperate, don't try Yellow Cab or similar services. They will take you for a ride, literally.

Whoa! $65 to go from LGA to JFK - somebody sure did get ripped off.

I usually use those $11 Port Authority Buses if I have time and they run every half hour and take about 45 minutes to go airport to airport with a stop at Jamaica Station on the way.

Yellow Cab - you just have to act like you know what you're doing with these guys. If in a hurry, I jump in, say "JFK, Grand Central, Van Wyck, I am familiar and you check with me before taking any short cuts!" They get the message. Average cost about $25 (22-28 depending on traffic). Just make sure you have something close to exact change including tip. I love when you give these guys two twenties and suddenly they have "no change". I had one guy pull that stunt on the $22 ride over. I pulled one of the twenties back, grabbed two ones out of my wallet and said "Sorry, if you had change you would have gotten a two dollar tip - them's the breaks". (He had change and realized he just shot himself in the foot.) They usually don't mess around too much when you are in uniform and act like a New Yorker.

Any year now, they'll get that great boondoggle in the sky known as the "Airlink" finished - Great link from Jamaica Station to JFK. It was supposed to be built from LGA to JFK but they ran out of funds! (Say with heavy NY accent) ---> "Go fig-yurh!"

Try sureway cab company- been a while but used to be 10 or 11 for crew.( they wont look at your id close enough to know difference) depending on time of day could be anywhere from about 15 minutes to an hour.
718-805-0606

Kew Gardens - $14.50
Phone: 7188465800

Depending what terminal you're at in LGA and which you're going to at JFK, time could be quick. LGA stops go DL, NW, US, UA, AA, and lastly DL shuttle. JFK usually starts with AA (8 & 9), then works their way around with terminals 6 and 7 being last. The JFK bus sometimes stops at Jamaica Station which can add at least 15 minutes to the trip.

Good luck.....

Latest resources

Back