Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Ground run required to slow to a survivable speed...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

acpilot

I am...PROFESSOR FATE!
I'm looking for a chart/table I used to have that outlined the ground run required to slow an aircraft to a survivable speed during a crash. I though it was interesting and would like to know if anyone has a copy or it or knows a of a link to it online.

Thanks

Where did you find this chart? Publication, book, school, place, etc.

What type of document was it from? Government, university, etc.

What aircraft (if only one) was this for? I can't imagine a manufacturer providing a table listing the speed to slow down to to survive a crash.....

I would like to see that chart also.

I know it wasn't a manufacturer doc and I doubt the government would print something like that.

It was just a two-column table with a groundspeed and the distance (in feet) required to slow to a survivable speed.

I recall a NASA study done in the mid 70's where they used new Piper light twins that were caught in a flood at Lock Haven and some old single engine airframes. I saw a copy of the paper document in the early 80's but not found it on the internet nor do I have the document number. The study was on crash survival techniques and crash information. Another document I should of kept.......

It was just a two-column table with a groundspeed and the distance (in feet) required to slow to a survivable speed.

Something like that would have to be based in some pretty broad assumptions about how quickly the plane decelerates and how many G's are survivable. It would be simplifying the dynamics and survivability factors involved to a point that the result wold be fairly meaningless.

They were just estimates.

If you think about it, if you're crash landing a cessna, you need about 500-1000 feet to have a reasonable rate of deceleration. If you're in an airliner you're probably going to need at least 3000 feet. Just what I think.

Latest resources

Back