Ground ops accident rate

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

MaxTorque

Are there any stats out there for ground ops accidents where intent for flight isn't involved? I imagine it would be hard to quantify with no "per flight hour" to provide the rate info. I'm talking about "hangar rash" incidents and the like. Probably only thing out there would be insurance loss data...

I would be very interested in any pointers to published data.

MT

If the incident didn't involve "intention of flight" the NTSB would not investigate it. The FAA might. Are you looking for GA or air carrier ops? Airlines are pretty tight-lipped for fear of bad press or liability. Insurance companies would be a good source for GA. My experience has been that some aren't not too helpful given the nature of their business but call several companies. Some will be easier than others. It might help to befriend an agent and explain what you are doing. AOPA might be another good source or could better point you in the right direction.

Good luck on your search.

Upon further thought, I am aborting this as an ill conceived thought... There simply isn't going to be a way to compare these. A huge hangar with one plane that is only moved around a few times a year could go decades without a problem but a busy repair shop that stacks many planes a day in & out could ding a few a year. Any fender bender in a plane is one too many.
MT

Latest resources

Back