Ground instructor

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Cypilot77

hey guys, i have a question. I already passed the written exams for the ground instructor.(FOI and advanced ground). I was wondering if i need to take any oral exams with FAA to get my ground instructor license,or if i can just bring the written results to them and give the license.I know if you are a CFI you dont need additional oral exam to get it..But im not a CFI..thanks

Nope, just fill out an 8710 and take it and the written results to the FSDO and they will issue you your temporary. There is no "practical" test for a ground instructor certificate.

lowlycfi said:
Nope, just fill out an 8710 and take it and the written results to the FSDO and they will issue you your temporary. There is no "practical" test for a ground instructor certificate.
What if the FSDO is 4 hours away in my case, and it's not practical to go all that distance to submit my 8710 and written results. Is there an alternative to submitting the above mentioned?

User997 said:
What if the FSDO is 4 hours away in my case, and it's not practical to go all that distance to submit my 8710 and written results. Is there an alternative to submitting the above mentioned?

Last time I checked, the US postal service will send documents just about anywhere for a small fee.

Try it, it might just catch on.

USMCmech said:
Last time I checked, the US postal service will send documents just about anywhere for a small fee.

Try it, it might just catch on.

Not sure about that. I had to show a photo ID when I got my ground instructor certificate. I would call the FSDO and ask. You could always plan one of your student's dual cross country to the FSDO airport.

thank you guys for the information..i hope when i go there,they dont sit me down and start asking questions about FOI or any other subject..lol

Cypilot77 said:
thank you guys for the information..i hope when i go there,they dont sit me down and start asking questions about FOI or any other subject..lol
Nah don't worry about it. Most of them are no more then underpaid, bitter, government workers. They could care less about what your doing (until you break a reg or something! hehe)

Your typically in and out in less then 5-10 minutes.

Make sure you get an appointment first before you go. For the past couple years most FSDO's don't allow walk-in's. It's one of those moronic security clusters impemented after 9/11.

Mine took like 25 minutes, because the inspector had never done one before, and I guess he didn't know how to do all the paperword. Also, I called around to see if I could mail my test results or take them to a DE, and they all said no...had to make an appointment with the FSDO and bring photo ID.

On a related matter

If you got your AGI and IGI more than two years ago and now working on a CFI, do you have to retake the FOI?

Latest resources

Back