Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

enigma

good ol boy
Back when I was studying for airline interviews, I reviewed several books and study guides. I remember seeing or hearing something about grooved runways, and I think it was that a grooved runway could be considered dry unless it had standing water. This came up in a discussion the other day, but now I can't find the reference. I've looked in the FAR/AIM and found nothing. Does this sound familiar to you? If so, where is the guidance regarding grooved runways written?

Thanks

Try your AFM. Most of the time the manufacture will dicide what it conciders to be a contaminated runway and how it will affect performance. Another place to look would be your company's ops manual.

It's a lot easier to explain at the hearing that you thought you'd be more conservative and assume "wet" than vice versa...

It should be in your FOM, but at least when I dispatch airplanes, I just always plan a wet landing, even when its severe VFR and there isnt a cloud within 500 NM, unless I actually need dry performance due to payload, MEL, etc. About the only places I actually make it dry is SNA and BUR, unless its really wet, or forecast to be wet.

I dont think I've ever cared about it being grooved or not for the wet-vs-dry question, in that its never been an issue where I dispatch airplanes to. I cant think of an airport that we fly into, where the field length is so short for that to be critical, except SNA and BUR, and off the top of my head I cant remember if they're grooved or not.

I also always select the shortest runway at my airport of destination as the landing runway, given the runway flow configuration that I expect the airport to be in upon arrival.

Latest resources

Back