Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

starvingcfi

CpApAwM
i'm looking for opinions on gla. i saw today that their minimums are 500tt, 250 pic, 50 multi, and 10 actual. curious if they're a decent company to work for. anyone out there been on with them? also, they've got bases in denver, minneapolis, and chicago. how hard would it be to get chicago? what's the first year f/o pay? what are the upgrade times? just general info. thanks in advance.

starvingcfi

try doing a search, all your questions have been answered recently by people in the know.

GLA

I've read on other posts, no pay during two month training, first year FO 15 something an hour, training contract for 15 or 18 months, sounds like pay for training to me, no thanks. Good luck if you can afford it though.

Jeff

Re: GLA

210FR8DOG said:
I've read on other posts, no pay during two month training, first year FO 15 something an hour, training contract for 15 or 18 months, sounds like pay for training to me, no thanks. Good luck if you can afford it though.

Jeff

How do you figure it is pay for training? I dont think they charge you a fee for your training. Not that they are the best operation.....

Obviously 210FR8DOG has been in the 121 environment and knows what pay for training is, not. I don't remember having to pay for training while I went through 1900 or Brassilia training. The only thing I had to pay for was food because they provide hotel, unlike some other regionals out there. Is it that hard staying at a company for 15 months, I don't think so even if it is at Lakes.

Why don't you give us your definition of pay for training 210FR8DOG.

thanks for the replies. i don't think 15 months is that long. then again, it really depends on the company. could make for a long 15 months. but as far as building multi, turbine, actual, AND 121 time WHILE getting paid, it can't be all that bad. i'm sure it looks much better on a resume than tomahawks. just trying to get some opinions. should i keep instructing and wait for airnet to start hiring? thanks guys.

starvingcfi

GLA

Relax guys, I wasn't trying to start a fire. I just meant that when the other airlines like Comair and ASA and others are paying at least a little bit for training and paying a lot more for 1st yr FOs it makes me mad that the others cant follow suit. With a wife and daughter, I don't have a choice but to hold out for Comair or a company that pays something for training, and even then it will be REALLY hard to make it through training and first year. I know, maybe I'll be flying freight forever. I hope not. I didn't mean literally PFT, but with no paycheck for 2 months, it may as well be for me. I would seriously have to cook some tacos at night to get thruough that. Pinnacle does the same thing, but at least they pay better for 1st yr FO. ~19 an hour and flying really nice CRJs. I won't go there either, if I can help it. I know how hard all of us have worked and how much we've paid to get where we are. I would just like to see a little more respect for our abilities and efforts. I'll keep my opinions in check next time. Fly safe, Jeff

Foot in door

Great Lakes is a good place to get your foot in the door and thats aobut it. I suggest that if you can afford the lousy pay and not being paid for training, you come here for a year. At that point, put applications out at other regionals and go there. By the time you get an interview and a class date, your 15 month training contract will be over. ACA, ASA, Comair and Air Wisconsin are all places you could retire if need be. And yes, the pay is much better there. The only problem is that those companies can be much more selective because people really want to work there and the competition is fierce. So you need some kind of good experience. Most of those companies know about the tough training at Great Lakes and know what type of pilots we are. Most of our pilots have done well in training at other airlines. I was told from the start that if you can make it at Lakes, you can make it anywhere. I believe it too, because I've been through a lot of training here and it's all been pretty tough.

Also, don't let someone keep you from saying what you're thinking. This is the place to let it out.

-Menace:cool:

ASA and Comair also aren't hiring with only 700tt. Lakes is. I Spent my 1.5 years at Lakes and then walked over to Air Wisconsin. That's a small investment in time and a small sacrifice in wages to be flying at AWAC instead of a Cessna 210. Think about it. Lakes was the best thing to ever happen to me. Some companies may pay you in training but some of those don't pay for your hotel. Guess what....you end up in the same boat as you would have at Lakes during training.

Latest resources

Back