Great Lakes Training

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

aa30

JUST WONDERING IF ANYBODY KNOWS HOW GLA WORKS THEIR TRAINING...DO THEY CHARGE YOU? DO YOU GET PAID DURING TRAINING? DO THEY PAY FOR YOUR HOTEL,ETC? ANY INFO IS SURE HELPFUL. THANKS A LOT.

My understanding is that they pay for the hotel and that is it. Double occupancy. You are not a Lakes employee until you pass your checkride so no pay until you start flying.

- AZPilot

What about a training contract? Are you locked in for a year, 6 months? And is it really THAT bad at GLA?

Last edited:
And is it really THAT bad at GLA? It's really that bad!!! Train by intimadation and humilation, pay sucks, a day off is considered anything over 12hrs and the list goes on and on.

WD.

What about a training contract? Are you locked in for a year, 6 months? And is it really THAT bad at GLA? I really want to get out of instructing!

Lakes offers 121 multi-turbine time. If you're interested in career progression, that's what you need. Instruction is only so valuable in your logbook, even if it's multi-instruction.

Good luck!

S.

Last edited:
Rumors, rumors, rumors

"Train by intimadation and humilation, pay sucks, a day off is considered anything over 12hrs and the list goes on and on."

No, the regs maintain as does GLA that 24hrs off=1day off

I never felt intimidated. The people who don't have the instrument skills do not pass the flight training. They will teach you the airplane, but not how to shoot an approach, enter a hold, etc. I thought it was fair.

They pay for your hotel during training (double occupancy) and you get paid guarantee and perdiem starting when you pass your checkride. If that is dissapointing then cross ACA off your list the do not pay for hotel, but give you $200 per week until you complete training. It is more the exception than the rule to get paid and a free room durining initial training.

"What about a training contract?"
Yes, that is one of the bigger Union issues right now. They told us the legality of it at all is questionable, but it was for 12 or 15 months.. I can't remember.

"DO THEY CHARGE YOU?"
No

Upgrade to captain is under a year, so good pay increase when you upgrade. The union is also working on getting pay increases as well as better work rules. This is the second contract for the union. The 30 day cooling off period is just around the corner.

Good Luck and Fair Skies

Hi there,

I just recently spent the $28 and did thier online application and resume. That was one of the most thorough process' I have ever gone through. They even did a small psych test on us. How long after this do they normally call for an interview? I can't seem to get anyone on the line, so I'm getting a little frustrated and discouraged. I hope I didn't waste my money.

Av8ter

My training at Lakes was fair. There were no threats upon myself (although my training partner was a total boob and couldn't even enter a hold correctly. He was threatened with being fired if he didn't reverse his rectal cranial inversion). My training at Lakes was no less professional than it was at Air Willy. The Lakes training was a LOT harder however due to my lack of experience in that type of equipment. If it's your first turbine airplane, expect it to be a steep learning curve...and know how to fly instruments! Good luck and enjoy!

Last edited:
Av8ter, 13 weeks from application to the call in my experience. Heading to Denver tomorrow morning, as long as I don't first sucumb to cardiac arrest.

My intial training in the 1900 sucked big time but when I was recalled into the EMB-120, it was awesome. Cool instructor, IPs, and check airman.

Latest resources

Back