• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

F9 Driver

Wear The Fox Hat
Hey Lakers,

Can someone please fill me in on why the "safe" taxi speeds at DEN. Ground seemed to know why, but wouldn't say on the radio.

PM me if you want.

ps. according to the guy I was with the 1900 that we were stuck behind was moving A LOT slower than UAL did during their slowdown. Please pull over and let faster traffic by! We are on your side and the time you spend pulled over counts too;)

Gotta be safe man !

Isn't slow just a fact of life with a 1900 ? Just kiding, good luck guys and gals !

We're just Taxiing by "The Book" We are also operating without a contract and are the lowest paid out there. It's embarrassing that our FO's are applying for food stamps while the management of our company is smoking fat cigars.(speaking metaphorically) Taxiing any faster than by the book is to help with the efficiency of the airline. Sorry if it is an inconvienence for you all, I think ground has gotten used to it and sends us down to rwy 8 via Lima while the rest of you go on by on Mike. We appreciate the support and hope to make this a better company for the next generation.

Last edited:
ATC in DEN knows we taxi slow so they take that into account most of the time when we are going to or from a runway. Recently they have been giving us alternate taxi routings which bypass the main flow of aircraft. We will not speed up for anybody, no disrespect. Our pilot group has to do something to improve working conditions and finally get a contract signed. Hopefully you won't have to follow us for too much longer. Finally, if we get a better contract, that has some effect on the rest of the airlines out there, positive.

Good luck to all of you and I hope it works out.:cool:

way to go!

Way to go! Something has to change..Mgmt's at GLA, Mesa, Gulfstream and the others out there have to realize we're not going to work for less then a Pizza hut delivery person!

On a related topic...funny but its not..

I was flying for Mesa last year..in the PHX training center break room..they had on the board a help wanted ad for Pappa John's Pizza deleivery drivers. On the ad it said...willing to work with your schedule.
I dont know who put it up..but it was there forever...and I am certain some Mesa pilots were delivering pizza's to survive.

GLA and YV...give'em hell..you guys deserve it!
Good luck!

Regulations For The Operation of Aircraft
January, 1920

1. Don't take the machine into the air unless you are satisfied it will fly.
2. Never leave the ground with the motor leaking.
3. Don't turn sharply when taxiing. Instead of turning sharp, have someone lift the tail off the ground.
4. In taking off, look at the ground and the air.
5. Never get out of a machine with the motor running until the pilot relieving you can reach the engine controls.
6. Pilots should carry hankies in a handy position to wipe off goggles.
7. Riding on the steps, wings, or tail of a machine is prohibited.
8. In case the engine fails on takeoff, land straight ahead regardless of obstacles.

9. No machine must taxi faster than a man can walk.

10. Never run motor so that blast will blow on other machines.
11. Learn to gauge altitude, especially on landing.
12. If you see another machine near you, get out of the way.
13. No two cadets should ever ride together in the same machine.
14. Do not trust altitude instruments.
15. Before you begin a landing glide, see that no machines are under you.
16. Hedge-hopping will not be tolerated.
17. No spins on back or tail slides will be indulged in as they unnecessarily strain the machines.
18. If flying against the wind and you wish to fly with the wind, don't make a sharp turn near the ground. You may crash.
19. Motors have been known to stop during a long glide. If pilot wishes to use motor for landing, he should open throttle.
20. Don't attempt to force machine onto ground with more than flying speed. The result is bouncing and ricocheting.
21. Pilots will not wear spurs while flying.
22. Do not use aeronautical gasoline in cars or motorcycles.
23. You must not take off or land closer than 50 feet to the hangar.
24. Never take a machine into the air until you are familiar with its controls and instruments.
25. If an emergency occurs while flying, land as soon as possible.

Last edited:
Change this:

9. No machine must taxi faster than a man can walk.

To read:
9. No machine must taxi faster than GLA's management can get serious about a contract.

When I left there 18 months ago, we were taxiing slow then. Apparently they don't get it or don't care. I recommend phase two to you guys, which is fixing all problems AT THE OUT STATIONS. That would make for some better layovers in DRO. Also, you guys still flying into Amarillo? Loved that layover... I was always busy as a beaver.

Take care and good luck,

cg

Lakers, I understand why. When I was flying communters so many years ago, got involved with a similar situation. We worked 100% to the rules. On time went from the high 90's to under 10% over a weekend. The management took very serious notice of it. On time effects their cod-share contracts. Keep that in mind. I would suggest that you do NOT walk. As long as you are on the property and working, you have access. In that situation that company could throw you out, but they will lose in the end. If you walk, there are always scabs and the strike will last much longer. My suggestion is to work totally to the rules and document everything you do. Photo copies of log sheets, trip reports, etc.

Good luck

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back