Great Lakes is Gay

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
NuGuy said:
No, but let me tell you what a riot Minot, ND is in the wintertime.

Nu
Hahaha...my Dad's from Fargo and I lived near there for two years while growing up...Hawley MN. It used to be quite the winter wonderland up there.

I used to fly a lot of charters to Spencer IA, so having spent some time on the couch at the FBO and nights at the "motel", I can empathize with you guys. Good luck.

Remember that the Teamsters is the ONLY organization on this planet that even claims to be on our side.

The problem beyond the NMBs stubborness and the company's bad faith negotiation is at it's core a shortage of pilot involvement and activism. (Whether or not Rainey is in Voss's pocket is the matter of some debate, but regardless it wouldn't materially change our situation) That prevents everybody from being on the same page, which morphs into a pilot group that looks outwardly disunified. Everybody has plenty of bundled up anger and will to act, but it's all pointed in different directions. This is evidenced by a number of independent communications directed at management and the union in recent months. If we had an EXCO and staffed committees, they would handle that with one voice.

Why direct one's anger at the Teamsters? I truly believe that the IBT747 staff go home at night and wonder why they ever bothered organizing us, cause it's been nothing but grief for them. More than any other group in the local, we have the "buy representation" philosophy, i.e, "I paid my dues, why don't we have a contract/CASS/better hotels/prompt grievance resolution/etc." The pilot group makes the union! WE staff the EXCO, WE staff the committees, WE do the legwork, WE trade a few hours of PIC time to devote to negotiations. Unfortunately, we are young, poorly educated, and largely fail to understand that simple truth. And EXCO or MEC should be filled by pilots who make the decisions and plot our direction, not a lawyer in Houston who would rather be playing golf. The only thing we should need his help for is paperwork and the finer legal matters. The poor guys tried to make that point during the Fall 2004 meetings, but it was lost amongst the whiny barking from the senior guys who have been here for 4-5 years but have never contributed anything but their dues. My favorite quote from from a line pilot during that meeting referencing a slowdown: "I'll never do that, I'll never inconvenice my passengers." So just WTF are you going to do, then?

As it is, our two frontmen and the odd volunteer that assists them have a large burden, do a great job, but cannot foster unity by themselves. I fully admit that I am part of the problem, because I share the same "get it done 'n get out of here" mentality as the rest of us, reluctant to make sacrifices for the limited returns. All we ever do is vote and complain. And unless you're one of maybe five guys, you're part of the problem, too.

Incidently, if you have something to say, say it here: http://bb.ibt747.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=forum;f=4

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back