Great Lakes Info?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

TxFlyerDave

Does anyone have information about the situation at Great Lakes? As a "low time applicant" they're my best chance to get my foot in the door. Heard something about a strike. Filled out the personality profile a few weeks ago. Hope to hear soon.

Info=peace of mind

Good Luck

I filled out the profile paid the 38$ even sent in two updates in the last 7 months. Still havent even goten a phone call. welcome to the club TxFlyerDave. I have not heard any new news on the company but I am sure they have at least a few thousand resumes on file.

Good luck on the hunt though!

I hear the only way to get consideration at GLA is to have someone walk your stuff in or to have worked for the GLA in some form or another at one time. I worked customer service for GLA for 2.5 years (1996-1998) and got an interview and a job offer back in July 2002. My advice is to find someone- anyone- with the company and get them to carry your stuff in. Most guys are more than willing to help out a fellow pilot. Good Luck!!

Knowing someone isn't the only way to get in the door, I sure didn't, but it does seem to improve your odds and/or position in the stack. Keep in mind the small scale of this situation. A bit more than 200 pilots on the seniority list. A newhire class represents either growth or turnover of 10%! That doesn't happen overnight. Air Wisconsin thievery predominantly drove the last couple classes, but lately there hasn't been movement on that front, so things slowed down again. This aint the late 90s anymore, and there simply aren't that many places to go. Growth is nil, perhaps negative, attrition alone has driven hiring.

The watched pot never boils. I had entirely given up on the possibility of ever seeing a return on my $28 when they called out of the blue 3 or 4 months later. It's a thick stack and it'll take some time. Do stick with it though, the flying rocks, and the Beech blows the doors off a Skyhawk. Run a search on "Great Lakes" many have shared in your angst. I'm still a youngin' in the industry, but it seems like all you can do is check the boxes as far as your qualifications go, then just cast the net far and wide. Once every eon or so you'll catch a fish.

I am a 1200 hr CFI, and is there any GLA pilots that would be willing to consider walking a packet in for a stranger. Feel free to e-mail me if you would be willing to help, and thanks in advance everybody!!
Cory
[email protected]

Most people are not very happy over there at Great Lakes. Currently they are not hiring because of many internal problems. There is a chance of a strike within the next month, and possibly a new CEO (that would be the best thing that would happen to them). Even though they hire low time guys, and promise uprgrades in six months, its still not the best choice. The argument in the old days was that you would get your time and leave. But, realistically, within the type of training they give you, upgrade in six months is nearly impossible. Along with the high pink slip rates. (No, I didn't get pinked). Basically, they treat you like crap.

Lakes has slowed down the hiring mostly because we're staffed pretty well and even have reserve lines. We do have a new CEO, which is the best news I've heard since I've been here and he seems like he wants to get negotiations over with and start making some plans. Raytheon also owns 36% of Lakes now which is also good news. Upgrade classes are still running 1-2 a month and it is still pretty junior. It still sucks here on the most part.

Homer Jay said:
Air Wisconsin thievery?!?!?! Wow, you must REALLY be new to Lakes. I wouldn't call it thievery in the least. If anything, they are throwing Lakes pilots a lifeline who can't take this place anymore. Hey Air Wis recruiters, STEAL ME!!!:D

LOL, make no mistake about it, STEAL ME TOO!! It's simply amusing to see 12% of the pilot group jump to the other concourse all at once. I hope for both our sakes that they steal you as well. In the words of one particularly eloquent rapper: "MOVE, #####, Get out the way, get out the way!!"

You got that right Cardinal!! Hey Cornelius...do you really think it's good that Raytheon owns 36% of us? I'm afraid that with them having a stake in us we will NEVER fly anything but the 1900 and that the 120's will once again disappear...but for good. There are definitely some interesting times ahead!!!

I heard chuck has big plans in the EMB-120, but we won't know anything until negotiations are over. Did you hear the rumor of management trying to work with a 20% raise accross the board?

Latest resources

Back