• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Grandstanding @sshole Mainline Pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
She said that scope is non negotiable. So, what that tells me is that they want to immediately do away with all outsourced regional flying, whether it's 50 seats or 100 seats. If not, then it is negotiable. Either there are regionals or there aren't. Are they willing to strike over any outsourcing or just some? Not really clear where she's coming from.

It's all posturing folks. In the end nothing will change with the regionals. Mainline will end up paying their pilots more with better work rules to drop this issue and we know they'll all take it. (atleast enough will to pass the contract)

It's all posturing folks. In the end nothing will change with the regionals. Mainline will end up paying their pilots more with better work rules to drop this issue and we know they'll all take it. (atleast enough will to pass the contract)

I do not think so. At least at Cal, I fly with some pretty senior guys. They see that it effects them as well. For me personally, unless they can bring my father back from the dead, I can think of nothing I would take to sign away scope on this contract.

If you can get the flying back it is going to be at a very high price. All contracts have a total cost associated with them. By bringing the outsourced flying in-house the total cost of that contract is going to go sky high and therefore there will have to be cuts from other areas. In plain terms, the only way UAL goes for it is if the cost to bring the flying in is the same or at least close to what it currently is as outsourced.

With all the high expectations of work rule improvements and 30-40% pay increases, I just don't think the pilots will have the stomach to hold strong on scope and not see all the other improvements that they want. I hope I'm wrong and wish you luck.

I do not think so. At least at Cal, I fly with some pretty senior guys. They see that it effects them as well. For me personally, unless they can bring my father back from the dead, I can think of nothing I would take to sign away scope on this contract.

Would you be willing to work under the current UAL work rules (an improvement over CAL) and a 5% pay increase and a 10 year contract to get rid of the outsourcing? You may say yes, the guy sitting next to you says hell no. Each pilot has different expectations about the JCBA, all Smisek wants is to find that 50% +1 at each carrier.

Would you be willing to work under the current UAL work rules (an improvement over CAL) and a 5% pay increase and a 10 year contract to get rid of the outsourcing? You may say yes, the guy sitting next to you says hell no. Each pilot has different expectations about the JCBA, all Smisek wants is to find that 50% +1 at each carrier.

With the notable exception of Eagle, who the f*ck signs a 10+ year contract? Come back to me with a realistic example if you want to play 'what if'...

Last edited:

Enjoy your weekends off BRO!!! Would really hate it if those pre Madonna mainline types actually tried to make your job a career again....

Last edited:

Actually it has to pass each MEC individually before it goes to a pilot vote. The MEC's seem to be standing strong on scope. I think you could kiss ALPA goodbye if they don't produce on scope. It is the #1 issue!!!

They also have one of the best pft programs!:laugh:

There is one problem problem with your statement. Southwest is not PFT. Advice; Stop talking out of your ass....you won't sound like an idiot.

Enjoy your weekends off BRO!!! Would really hate it if those pre Madonna mainline types actually tried to make your job a career again....

So is that the 1958 pre Madonna, or the first album pre Madonna of 1983?

Not sure how many mainline types are still around pre Madonna.:laugh:

The reason scope needs to be a big deal is not the guys currently flying at regionals - but the mainline pilots who will be moving to regionals if management gets its way. I am sure management looks forward to the day when the only flights that are flown by mainline end on a different continent than the one they started on: all domestic flying outsourced.

From my perspective, scope needs to be more than just seat count. It also needs to be distance. ORD-MIA? IAH-YYZ? These don't seem like regional routes to me!

Latest resources

Back