Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

RkyMtnHigh

Fellow Colleagues,

My name is Chris Shaver, I am currently working on a Graduate Research Project for the completion of a Master of Aeronautical Science degree from Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University.The purpose of this research is to determine whether the current federal regulations regarding the use of supplemental oxygen by flight crewmembers above 25,000 feet are valid in today’s environment and whether or not completion of altitude chamber training increases the likelihood of pilots to use supplemental oxygen.

Your assistance in completing this survey will provide invaluable, anonymous data pertinent to this research topic. It is completely voluntary and is applicable to any pilot. There are 13 questions in the survey and it should take approximately 5 minutes to complete. The survey will be open to responses for 10 days from October 20 to October 30, 2009.

To take the survey, please click on the following link or paste the address into your web browser:

http://fluidsurveys.com/surveys/chris-shaver/one-time-pro/

Thank you

I'll fill out your survey, but I need to know your motivation for getting a Master's in Aeronautical Science. What's the point and what do you expect to do with that degree?

This isn't flamebait, I'm actually curious.

Have a nice evening/

I'll fill out your survey, but I need to know your motivation for getting a Master's in Aeronautical Science. What's the point and what do you expect to do with that degree?

This isn't flamebait, I'm actually curious.

Have a nice evening/

He decided in a low oxygen environment.

If you instruct at ERAU, you get your master's paid for; at least you used to. I sure hope he's not paying for it.

Motivation

The motivation for the master's program is purely career advancement. I plan on a career as a safety investigator, and a master's is pretty much the minimum for the field now.

But why a masters in that? Why not a master in aviation safety? I have a BS in Aeronautical Science (granted not masters) and its useless I'd love to know how you can turn that into a safety direction.

Many, if not a majority, of the investigators with the NTSB have MAS degrees. I was quite skeptical at first as well, but the program is not bad, especially if you are a working professional who has to do your coursework online.

Good idea! The online master's at ERAU is actually one of the least expensive in the nation. I considered it myself a few years ago as a plan B.

Last edited:
It is a Requirment, of sorts

Years ago, when I was a Captain in the Air Force, a masters degree was basically an unwritten essential requirement to make Major. If I'm not mistaken, its an unwritten requirement to make Lt Col now. Can you say sqaure filler?

SPIKE

Latest resources

Back