GPS VNAV Approaches, what gives here?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FL030

Question regarding GPS VNAV approaches. Is this nothing more than a non-precision approach pretending to be a quasi precision approach? Is this possible because of the more accurate ground speed information. The MDA's are significantly lower than the LNAV alone (see KMHR RNAV (GPS) Rwy 22L), 200 feet in this case. The approach plate information, in this case anyway, seems to contradict the assertion in the Jeppesen Briefing Bulletin that VNAV descent angle does not change or modify MDA or MAP. What gives. I'm using the Garmin 430.

P.S. Best web sites for: aircraft for sale. I currently subscribe to Trade a Plane. thx.

Some airplanes are certified with VNAV on GPS approaches. Don't recall how they get certified, but it was covered in a GPS approach class I recently slept through. If you have an a/c certified with VNAV you can shoot the approaches down to lesser minimums than the LNAV mins. Some are down to 200 feet MDA, some are higher. If I had been awake, I might have retained more.....

Latest resources

Back