GPS thru a heated Windshield

LJ45

Total Time
Any one use a GPS antenna for a EFB thru a Heated windshield, such as a Learjet 45?.....thanks,

CA1900

Big Member
Total Time
11000+
I'm not sure if this is relevant, as I'm not sure how the Lear's windshield heat compares, but I had a handheld hiking GPS on the dash of a Beech 1900 under a heated windshield, and it had no problem at all acquiring the satellites.

mynameisjim

Don't try this at home
Total Time
Paycut
I've tried to use a GPS under the windows of the A320, and I couldn't get a signal. I even tried the back windows which are just anti-fogged, not heated...no luck.

It worked fine when I used a passenger window or the forward entry door window.

SabreFlyR

Total Time
LJ45 said:
Any one use a GPS antenna for a EFB thru a Heated windshield, such as a Learjet 45?.....thanks,

I am using a antenna for XM weather and a bluetooth gps reciever through the windshield on a Beechjet with no problems.

cvsfly

Total Time
SabreFlyR said:
I am using a antenna for XM weather and a bluetooth gps reciever through the windshield on a Beechjet with no problems.
Is that a Garmin 395? How well does it work? Looking for an inexpensive solution to getting in-flight wx data - either through a portable handheld solution like that or a pernament receiver/antenna with a PDA plug-in for display. Aircraft = BE-B200 with Collins EFIS 85 & UNS-1M.

Diesel

TEB Hilton resident
Total Time
cvs fly look at the thread with Wx Xm right below this one

SabreFlyR

Total Time
cvsfly said:
Is that a Garmin 395? How well does it work? Looking for an inexpensive solution to getting in-flight wx data - either through a portable handheld solution like that or a pernament receiver/antenna with a PDA plug-in for display. Aircraft = BE-B200 with Collins EFIS 85 & UNS-1M.
Using the WX Worx portable XM weather receiver bluetoothed to our ADR FG- 4000 efb. Only problem with reception using the portable antenna has been in the Northeast, both of their Satellites are over the equater south of Atlanta and Phoenix. I have a permanent antenna installed and will start using it in a week or so, as soon as I get the coax connector in from DAC(Thanks to Big D).

pilotpair

Total Time
Yup!
Currently use a XM Satellite radio, with the antenna below the windshield on a Lear 45. Works great going coast to coast, do not go to the North East much.

LJ45

Total Time
no luck with GPS

Our IR-310 USB GPS didn't work thru the windshield on the Lear 45 and couldn't get it to work in the back thru a passenger windshield.

As soon as I stepped out of the aircraft it started working, I guess too much interference.

Oh well... guess we will need a converter from the FMS to have aircraft position on the EFB for XM weather.

Diesel

TEB Hilton resident
Total Time
hey lj45 that link you gave me with the serial share works awsome.

Truely a ton of info on the tablet now. Actually gives me something to do. :)

I suspect though we are going to have to mount the antenna. It just looks too goofy with a wire on the dash and doesn't work that well headed north from florida.