GPS thru a heated Windshield

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

LJ45

Any one use a GPS antenna for a EFB thru a Heated windshield, such as a Learjet 45?.....thanks,

I'm not sure if this is relevant, as I'm not sure how the Lear's windshield heat compares, but I had a handheld hiking GPS on the dash of a Beech 1900 under a heated windshield, and it had no problem at all acquiring the satellites.

I've tried to use a GPS under the windows of the A320, and I couldn't get a signal. I even tried the back windows which are just anti-fogged, not heated...no luck.

It worked fine when I used a passenger window or the forward entry door window.

LJ45 said:
Any one use a GPS antenna for a EFB thru a Heated windshield, such as a Learjet 45?.....thanks,

I am using a antenna for XM weather and a bluetooth gps reciever through the windshield on a Beechjet with no problems.

SabreFlyR said:
I am using a antenna for XM weather and a bluetooth gps reciever through the windshield on a Beechjet with no problems.
Is that a Garmin 395? How well does it work? Looking for an inexpensive solution to getting in-flight wx data - either through a portable handheld solution like that or a pernament receiver/antenna with a PDA plug-in for display. Aircraft = BE-B200 with Collins EFIS 85 & UNS-1M.

cvs fly look at the thread with Wx Xm right below this one

cvsfly said:
Is that a Garmin 395? How well does it work? Looking for an inexpensive solution to getting in-flight wx data - either through a portable handheld solution like that or a pernament receiver/antenna with a PDA plug-in for display. Aircraft = BE-B200 with Collins EFIS 85 & UNS-1M.

Using the WX Worx portable XM weather receiver bluetoothed to our ADR FG- 4000 efb. Only problem with reception using the portable antenna has been in the Northeast, both of their Satellites are over the equater south of Atlanta and Phoenix. I have a permanent antenna installed and will start using it in a week or so, as soon as I get the coax connector in from DAC(Thanks to Big D).

Currently use a XM Satellite radio, with the antenna below the windshield on a Lear 45. Works great going coast to coast, do not go to the North East much.

no luck with GPS

Our IR-310 USB GPS didn't work thru the windshield on the Lear 45 and couldn't get it to work in the back thru a passenger windshield.

As soon as I stepped out of the aircraft it started working, I guess too much interference.

Oh well... guess we will need a converter from the FMS to have aircraft position on the EFB for XM weather.

hey lj45 that link you gave me with the serial share works awsome.

Truely a ton of info on the tablet now. Actually gives me something to do. :)

I suspect though we are going to have to mount the antenna. It just looks too goofy with a wire on the dash and doesn't work that well headed north from florida.

Latest resources

Back