Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

densoo

What could possibly go wrong?

"The FAA is conducting GPS Interference Testing centered near Alamogordo, N.M. throughout March. During these tests, the GPS signal is unreliable and may be unavailable within a radius of 468NM and centered at 330701N/1062540W or the location also known as the Truth Or Consequences, NM VORTAC (TCS) 094 degree radial at 44NM at FL400 and above; decreasing in area with a decrease in altitude to a radius of 425NM at FL250; a radius of 360NM at 10,000ft MSL; a radius of 353NM at 4,000ft AGL; and a radius of 327NM at 50ft AGL (see map below).

The testing will affect aircraft flying over a large portion of the southwest United States and well into northern Mexico. The "event" may last throughout the entire NOTAM'd period, and may cause navigation degradation. Please take appropriate actions for your fleet if you discover that your GPS has degraded or has become unavailable."

Meh. Kim Jong-Il used to jam GPS daily. The planes still worked.

Their test worked. East of LAS last night. L GPS INVALID followed by R GPS INVALID. POS page 2 showed neither being used. Waited a couple of minutes and both came back.

Last edited:
About once a month in NV/CA border area. The FAA has a blast email out a few days prior. I must be on their list. Only once have I experienced it in the jet when it started reverting to DME/DME at cruise.
Pulled up the sat nav page and sure enough GPS satellites were dropping off like flies.

Been Notams like that for a long time in the NM area.

Problems? Don't know, I've always been half asleep around that zone. If there were, I probably hit "Heading Select" like the old days of flying a LR24 with a POS VLF

Latest resources

Back