• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

GPS Device...Which one do you like?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The Garmin 92 is probably your best bet for that price. It has a 12 channel reciever versus the old 8 channel in the 90. They both are discontinued by Garmin which means you won't be able to get updates anymore for it

Actually, I've got a 90 and still am able to get parts and updates from Garmin. I just updated the database in April. They just don't make new units anymore.

I'd highly recommend the 90 for that price range. You can probably snag one off Ebay. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles of the new units, but it works great as a situational awareness and backup navigation aid. It doesn't do approaches or anything like that, but since handhelds aren't IFR certified anyway, that's not a huge drawbacks. True, the handhelds with approaches do help you with situational awareness on the approaoch, but with a 90 (with an updated database) you can still track your progress by matching the intersections and fixes on the screen with those on the approach chart. And with the $800 you save by not buying a 196, you can fly more. Not that there is anything wrong with the newer units, they just cost a lot.

If you're looking for value it's hard to beat the Garmin GPS 12, $144. http://www.garmin.com/products/gps12/
http://www.gpsnow.com/gm12.htm
It's got a proven track record garmin still sells it after more than 4 years on the market. I've had mine for 4 years and it's still going strong, 12 channel engine that gets a position in about 30 seconds even in the air moving 400 kts. You have to enter the airport or navaid coordinates, holds 500 user waypoints, speed goes up to 999 kts, I've only seen 550 kts with it in the Falcon 20 though, 4 AA batteries last 24 hours. It's the Garmin GPS 92 without the aviation database.

Regarding the post above that compares the GPS 90 to the GPS 92, you can't compare these two products. The 90 is NOT an 8 channel GPS it is a 2 channel gps that garmin calls a MultiTrac8, it was introduced in 1994 and Garmin replaced it with the GPS 92 in 1998 when the new 12 channel GPS engines were introduced, the same 12 channel gps engine that the new gps 196 uses today. The GPS 90 takes a LONG time (several minutes) to get a position and cannot hold the position anywhere near as well as the 92. The 92 is a completely different 12 channel gps engine that takes no more than a few seconds to get a position and locks onto it and doesn't lose it like the 90 will.

Last edited:
I've got an old GPS90 that I bought back in '96 for $600. It still works fine, still able to get database updates from the Garmin website for $35. I've heard that updates will be discontinued soon, so a used 90 might not be the best choice, even if they are cheap. And Snoopy is right, it takes quite a while for the 90 to acquire a position...maybe a newer unit would be the way to go.

Yeah, April is about the last update available. I know there no "current" updates available anymore. I just tried to get a 90 to acquire today and it does take a LONG time compared to the others.

Anyway, good luck!

True dat. The 90 definately is slow to acquire and quick to drop. And it usually does so while skirting class Bravo...

Unfortunately, ebay only has one 92 up for bid right now, and it looks like the guy is asking close to $400. There are a few 90s in the $100 range though. So if you can remember to boot it up as soon as you start the plane and don't mind short periodic drops in coverage, it's still a pretty good deal. But I'd spend the extra and go for the 92...

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back