GPS Approach question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
nosehair said:
There! There it is! "A PT is prescribed when necessary." Who do you think is responsible for determining "when necessary"? Not the pilot?
No.

==============================
Main Entry: pre·scribe
Pronunciation: pri-'skrIb
Function: verb
Inflected Form(s): pre·scribed; pre·scrib·ing
Etymology: Middle English, from Latin praescribere to write at the beginning, dictate, order, from prae- + scribere to write -- more at SCRIBE
intransitive senses
1 : to lay down a rule : DICTATE
2 [Middle English, from Medieval Latin praescribere, from Latin, to write at the beginning] : to claim a title to something by right of prescription
3 : to write or give medical prescriptions
4 : to become by prescription invalid or unenforceable
transitive senses
1 a : to lay down as a guide, direction, or rule of action : ORDAIN b : to specify with authority
2 : to designate or order the use of as a remedy
- pre·scrib·er noun
==============================

So far, I have never prescribed a procedure turn by any of those defintions. The TERPS people do that.

Check out the GPS 27 into PDK. I shot this this past weekend and when I asked the ATL controller if anyone ever does the procedure turn he replied 'NO'. Why in the world would they draw in a procedure turn when there is a 24 radar equipped approach control not more than 20 miles away? This is not just a VOR overlay, either. The VOR course is 277 inbound, vs the GPS inbound course of 268.

Beats me, any thoughts?

Geronimo4497 said:
Check out the GPS 27 into PDK. I shot this this past weekend and when I asked the ATL controller if anyone ever does the procedure turn he replied 'NO'. Why in the world would they draw in a procedure turn when there is a 24 radar equipped approach control not more than 20 miles away? This is not just a VOR overlay, either. The VOR course is 277 inbound, vs the GPS inbound course of 268.

Beats me, any thoughts?

http://www.naco.faa.gov/d-tpp/0506/00469R27.PDF

If you are coming into this airport and ATC is too busy to vector you, they might just say "Cleared direct Geyel, clear GPS 27 Approach". Keep in mind that you DONT have to do a procedure turn IF there is a holding pattern in lieu of a procedure turn published. So, if you can enter the "hold" via direct entry, no nead to reverse directions.

Just keep altitude in mind, your MSA might keep you up too high to allow a normal descent from the IAF to the FAF to the MDA/DH, so if you need to make a turn to loose altitude, get the OK from ATC first.

Last edited:
Geronimo4497 said:

Beats me, any thoughts?
But you shot the Vis approach into PDK anyway so what's the difference? And yes you can get vectored onto a GPS approach. AIM1-1-19 O 6
I was wrong.

Latest resources

Back