Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

TX_Pilot

Prowling for BBQ....
Just curious, What ever happened to GP Express? I flew on the AMA-DEN route many times in College. What happened to the Airline when CO pulled out of Denver? Did they go TU or were they absorbed by someone? Used to talk to their guys on the ramp in AMA all the time until they disappeared. We were talking about that today and none of us knew what happened to them. Just Curious!

out of business

One of my old instructors got his first job there..from what I remember they went out shortly after CO pulled out of DEN...some sort of scandel...one of the original scum bucket airlines...

This might explain a little:

NTSB Identification: ATL92MA118 . The docket is stored on NTSB microfiche number 46645.
Scheduled 14 CFRPart 135 operation of Air Taxi & Commuter GP EXPRESS AIRLINES, INC.
Accident occurred Monday, June 08, 1992 at ANNISTON, AL
Aircraft:BEECH C99, registration: N118GP
Injuries: 3 Fatal, 3 Serious.
THIS WAS THE FIRST DAY ON DUTY IN THE SOUTHERN REGION OPERATION FOR BOTH PILOTS. IN ADDITION, THEY HAD NEVER FLOWN TOGETHER. DURING THE FLIGHT, THE FLIGHTCREW LOST AWARENESS OF THEIR AIRPLANE'S POSITION, ERRONEOUSLY BELIEVED THAT THE FLIGHT WAS RECEIVING RADAR SERVICES FROM ATC, AND COMMENCED THE APPROACH FROM AN EXCESSIVE ALTITUDE AND AT A CRUISE AIRSPEED WITHOUT ACCOMPLISHING THE PUBLISHED PROCEDURE SPECIFIED ON THE APPROCH CHART. THE CREW BELIEVED THAT THE AIRPLANE WAS SOUTH OF THE AIRPORT, AND TURNED TOWARD THE NORTH TO EXECUTE THE ILS RWY 5 APPROACH. IN ACTUALITY, THE AIRPLANE HAD INTERCEPTED THE BACK COURSE LOCALIZER SIGNAL, AND THE AIRPLANE CONTINUED A CONTROLLED DESCENT UNTIL IT IMPACTED TERRAIN.
The National Transportation Safety Board determines the probable cause(s) of this accident/incident as follows.
THE FAILURE OF SENIOR MANAGEMENT OF GP EXPRESS TO PROVIDE ADEQUATE TRAINING AND OPERATIONAL SUPPORT FOR THE STARTUP OF THE SOUTHERN OPERATION, WHICH RESULTED IN THE ASSIGNMENT OF AN INADEQUATELY PREPARED CAPTAIN WITH A RELATIVELY INEXPERIENCED FIRST OFFICER IN REVENUE PASSENGER SERVICE, AND THE FAILURE OF THE FLIGHTCREW TO USE APPROVED INSTRUMENT FLIGHT PROCEDURES, WHICH RESULTED IN A LOSS OF SITUATIONAL AWARENESS AND TERRAIN CLEARANCE. CONTRIBUTING TO THE CAUSES OF THE ACCIDENT WAS GP EXPRESS' FAILURE TO PROVIDE APPROACH CHARTS TO EACH PILOT AND TO ESTABLISH STABILIZED APPROACH CRITERIA. ALSO CONTRIBUTING WERE THE INADEQUATE CREW COORDINATION AND A ROLE REVERSAL ON THE PART OF THE CAPTAIN AND FIRST OFFICER. (NTSB REPORT AAR-93/03)
Full narrative is not available

They went bankrupt about late 1995/early 1996. They pulled out of Denver hub and about six months later, declared bankruptcy. Their last hub was GSO, operating as Continental Connnection.

GP-Express

Interesting. I've wondered what happened to them as well. I tried for six years to get a job there. It would have been a good situation for me. I could have commuted to work easily.

I recall that the FO on that trip that went down in Alabama had something like 300 hours (!). They weren't running P-F-T. I had well over that time when I first sent them resumes.

Latest resources

Back