• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Govt. Flights

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I have to take issue with this post. First let me say that I without a doubt feel that the 'government' should have no say in the workings of a private company, that should be left to the share holders, or the company officials.
My background is both military and corporate, and have seen the workings of both. I currently fly for OSAA or 'PAT', which is like the DOD version of NetJets. I am sure the 'military flight' you saw in ABY was an OSAA aircraft. It may seem from your perspective that this flight was a waste of money, but you have no idea what the General's mission was that day. I can assure you he was not shopping, golfing or there eating a hamburger. We are a country at war, and the these are the men making important decisions on the lives and welfare of our troops. I just flew the commander of the 82nd Airborne last week. Could he have flown commercial? Sure, but do you really want this man waiting around airports and going through TSA? Not to mention the Top Secret documents being carried. All military air request are looked at for cost effectivenes and priority. The airlines are full of DOD members that did not meet the requirements.
I also have to take issue with Jetdriver69's comments. If you really believe "100,000's of gallons of jet fuel" you used just screwing around did not benefit you as a pilot, I want my money back. Sure we all do the occasional 'training flight', but you are flying the aircraft, and logging valuable time. And even a 'training flight' should be used as a training tool, if not you are to blame.

You're defending your job just like they're defending theirs. The Govt. threw the first stone and should be prepared for return fire.

Originally congress wanted companies receiving bailout money to divest their flight departments as part of the TARP program. They later changed their minds. This country is in debt like we have never seen. Maybe the Govt. should divest their flight department. Let them fly first class or drive to DC in hybrids.

Oh and to let the people know. I did fly in the military and have been deployed. Every month during the first week, the C-21's would fly in with Generals from Germany and other countries for a "short day visit". It is a well known fact that they do this to receive they pay for the month "tax free" because they spent time in a combat zone. How's that for a waste of tax payers' money?

Last edited:
One other thing Blue I was part of a combat ready squadron. As you are aware, if we we're not fighting , we we're training. Every year, toward to the end of the fiscal year, we had money in the budget left over. Op's beefs up the flying so that they use all of the allotted money even though everyone is current and up to speed. This is done so that the budget isn't cut for the following year. So I'm sure that JetDriver was well trained as everyone in the military, but the "use it or lose it" mentality toward the budget in these rough times is FRAUD WASTE AND ABUSE.

Last edited:
Jett
Thanks for the back up. That is exactly what I meant. Use it or lose it. There were time times when you have been gone 250 or more days a year and then you need to fly to "burn flying hours" to meet our program. Not going anywhere good, just boring holes in the sky, shooting approaches, etc. My point is that compared to bizjets, the govt. has absolutely no leg to stand on when comparing wasteful practices.

My point is that compared to bizjets, the govt. has absolutely no leg to stand on when comparing wasteful practices.

You're kidding right?

Latest resources

Back