Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

diggertwo

From http://www.pilotbug.com/?p=1557

While on the Kimmo 2 arrival into Santa Monica (KSMO), be prepared to be dumped in between DARTS and BEVEY on the VOR or GPS-A. SoCal approach will keep you high (I think 6000′) and vector an intercept between the two fixes and clear you for the approach. Best to configure early or at least prepared for it.

The above is intended to be advisory in nature and does not supersede any information contained in the FAR’s or AIM. Every situation is different and may not apply to every flight.

It ususally is 5000 ft because of Burbank departures, but you're right it is a slam dunk. It's been like that for over a decade. In the summer time you need to watch out for the Hollywood Bowl because it is usually not allowed to fly over because of noise, if you call the field in sight from way out and get a visual. The slam dunk comes after the last step down on the vor appch because of the two large buildings directly on final

Another point pilots sometimes miss is that it is a circling approach due to the fact that if you won't see the runway in time to fly a normal straight-in descent if the visibility is at minimums.

Another point pilots sometimes miss is that it is a circling approach due to the fact that if you won't see the runway in time to fly a normal straight-in descent if the visibility is at minimums.

I did a circle there once before years ago when I was an idiot. Not fun. Should have stuck with a straight-in VDP and just went missed and took it to LAX, BUR, or VNY. Would've been safer. live n learn

I fly there weekly and its amazing how guys will screw it up time and time again. Its a slam dunk most of the time but no big deal if your configured early and ready. SoCal will even do it when the field is IFR.

And expect smo tower to yell out,
"Low altitude alert! check your altitude immediately! Minimum descent altitude prior to Bevey 2,600, santa monica altimeter xxxx."
this just after you have leveled off at 2,600 prior to Bevey, usually caused by your slam dunk descent setting off the towers' Brite display low altitude alarm.
Aaah, memories....

Latest resources

Back