Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

SWAPoolie

Gordon Bethune and the Wrong Amendment

Ex-Continental CEO call Wright Amendment "anticompetitive": Former Continental CEO Gordon Bethune apparently thinks the Wright Amendment that restricts flights at Dallas Love Field should be overturned. In an opinion piece he wrote for Time magazine titled "How to fix the airline mess," Bethune mentions the law that has been at the center of controversy in north Texas. While discussing what he calls the government's "countless rules imposed" on the airline industry, he cited the Wright Amendment as an example of "anticompetitive legislation." The amendment restricts flights at Dallas Love Field to seven states near Texas. Southwest has its home airport at Love Field, and is leading an effort to overturn Wright. On the other side, American and Dallas/Fort Worth International have led a campaign to keep the amendment in place.

USA Today

Last edited:
Can't help but laugh when Bethuane says "the Government and the manufacturers have to stop bailing out the weak at the expense of the strong airlines"

Continental has benefited more than anybody from the bankruptcy process and if Boeing had not bailed them out they wouldn't be here.

Dan Roman said:
Can't help but laugh when Bethuane says "the Government and the manufacturers have to stop bailing out the weak at the expense of the strong airlines"

Continental has benefited more than anybody from the bankruptcy process and if Boeing had not bailed them out they wouldn't be here.

Interesting comment. While in the past I would say that is correct, however actions of late with UAL and USAir using the bankruptcy process to obliterate CBA's, pensions and the like your comment is a bit one sided and jaded. I am positive we will see the same abbrogation and destruction within the ranks of NWA and Delta.

What is interesting is there is little hue and cry from the legacy ALPA MEC's who are doing exactly to their own membership what they complained for so long about CAL regarding wages and work rules. Of course when the shoe is being stuck up your own backsided you call that survival. I call it hypocrisy.

Boeing did return deposits, but CAL did make good on a promise to buy strictly Boeing. That return of monies for deposits has now greatly benefited Boeing and those in their employ with the purchase/lease of around 150 - 175 airframes since the second bankruptcy. While this may of gone against your wishes to see us collapse it was a great investment for Boeing and the economy.

Last edited:
While this may of gone against your wishes to see us collapse it was a great investment for Boeing and the economy.[/QUOTE]

Boeingman, sorry if you read into my posting that I was anti CO in any way. I'm not and never wanted to see you collapse. You treat non-revs very well and you are one of the better airlines out there. I think it's great that you have succeded against some very long odds. CO was in just as big a hole as anybody is now and you managed a pretty remarkable turn around (from worst to first?).
While neither of us know the extent that Boeing, GE our anyone else helped during CO's second BK, it's my understanding Bethuane worked at Boeing and part of the condition for them not to repo aircraft depended on CO accepting Bethuane's employment. I'm sure their was all kinds of wheeling and dealing. Airline bankruptcies are very complicated and require a lot of co-operation by a lot of parties. Whatever went on, CO wouldn't be here without the BK process or the co-operation of the manufacturers, which is why I find Bethuane's remark pretty funny. Your completly right about the hypocrisy in our industry. I also laugh at the people who snubbed their noses at anyone taking concessions to survive are now among the biggest concession takers.

Dan Roman.[/QUOTE said:
Boeingman, sorry if you read into my posting that I was anti CO in any way. I'm not and never wanted to see you collapse. You treat non-revs very well and you are one of the better airlines out there. I think it's great that you have succeded against some very long odds. CO was in just as big a hole as anybody is now and you managed a pretty remarkable turn around (from worst to first?).
While neither of us know the extent that Boeing, GE our anyone else helped during CO's second BK, it's my understanding Bethuane worked at Boeing and part of the condition for them not to repo aircraft depended on CO accepting Bethuane's employment. I'm sure their was all kinds of wheeling and dealing. Airline bankruptcies are very complicated and require a lot of co-operation by a lot of parties. Whatever went on, CO wouldn't be here without the BK process or the co-operation of the manufacturers, which is why I find Bethuane's remark pretty funny. Your completly right about the hypocrisy in our industry. I also laugh at the people who snubbed their noses at anyone taking concessions to survive are now among the biggest concession takers.

Dan..thanks for the clarification. Problem with this medium is without tone and inflection the message gets lost sometime. My bad.

Latest resources

Back