• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Goodyear Blimp Pilots Wanted

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
They want someone with an airship rating. I applied but got the "more qualified applicants...." Worth a shot though. Tired of sitting on my a$$ or playing housewife.

I'll bite.

Who here has an airship rating?

What's it like and how long does it take to get. I understand that jobs like these are few and far, but man.... talk about braggin rights! Being able to fly a Blimp. heh.

But seriously, anyone have the rating and can you rent hot air balloons and command a blimp?

Would love to hear more about blimping around the skies from those who've been there.

I'll bite.

Who here has an airship rating?

What's it like and how long does it take to get. I understand that jobs like these are few and far, but man.... talk about braggin rights! Being able to fly a Blimp. heh.

But seriously, anyone have the rating and can you rent hot air balloons and command a blimp?

Would love to hear more about blimping around the skies from those who've been there.

Believe it or not, there is a difference between a balloon rating and an airship rating. Balloon ratings are fairly easy to get, normally your local Remax (no joke) office can hook you up with their local balloon company, who can usually get you setup with instruction.

But required to have an airship rating before hand? Where on God's green earth do you get an airship rating? Riddle? :laugh:

I personally know someone who has gotten the call from these guys. It sounds like it would be fun for a year or so, but then how do you get back into fixed wing?

-CaKe

But required to have an airship rating before hand? Where on God's green earth do you get an airship rating? Riddle? :laugh:

I saw a sim at Dave and Buster's, each lesson comes with a serving of buffalo wings and a frosty one!

I applied a while ago and go the email that I wasn't qualified several days ago (I'm soon to be furloughed UAL). There wasn't a requirement for LTA. A friend told me that they probably are looking for pilots with very low time.

The person I know who is a retired blimp pilot said the pay is not good compared to UAL (I giggled since he obviously doesn't know what we get paid there!) and you literally are on the road about 200 days per year. He also said that switching bases is virtually impossible as you would have to re-interview with the chief pilot at the other base and it's not seniority based.

I'm just curious as to what the pay is/was.

I spoke to Lightship some time ago about it; it was about three hundred to three hundred twenty days on the road, and the pay was a flat fifty grand at the time. I don't imagine it's a lot more, now.

Latest resources

Back