• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

JetPilot500

UAL seeks to void contracts

UAL May Seek To Void Contracts
Tara Murphy, 03.13.03, 10:07 AM ET

NEW YORK - Making headlines this morning, UAL's United Airlines reportedly plans to void labor contracts on March 17, as its three main labor unions remain at odds over concessions.

Chief Financial Officer Frederic "Jake" Brace said UAL (nyse: UAL - news - people ) would ask bankruptcy court to let it out of existing labor contracts, which wouldn't officially become void until May. That would give its unions more time to agree on concession terms. United, which is looking to cut $2.5 billion in costs annually, says it needs new contracts by May 1 to fulfill its creditors' financial goals.

What scares me is they are attempting to shift assest to the LCC, than void the labor contracts and than they ultimately shut down the mainline altogether and allow the star alliance to provide the international lift.
Then start the LCC without any type of contract-a take it or leave type thing. 10,000+ unemployed pilots on the street, how many would take the job? All while Mr. Tilton keeps his 11 million+/ year pay package.
At this point, I would hope that UAL pilots could get wages like AWA.
Just my humble opinion.

mach none said:
What scares me is they are attempting to shift assest to the LCC, than void the labor contracts and than they ultimately shut down the mainline altogether and allow the star alliance to provide the international lift.
Then start the LCC without any type of contract-a take it or leave type thing. 10,000+ unemployed pilots on the street, how many would take the job? All while Mr. Tilton keeps his 11 million+/ year pay package.
At this point, I would hope that UAL pilots could get wages like AWA.
Just my humble opinion.

Sadly, I doubt that there will be any wages (high or low), for any United employees (pilots or otherwise) in a few months. I think they are in salvaging mode now, but that's just my opinion.

The real question is will the ALPA pilots show up for work to work FAR's or will there just be a work stoppage. Glad I am on the side-lines on this one.UAL pilots...............................really work. There you guys happy, doesn't change a thing about the way I feel. As for holding my feelings to myself it is a public board and I will say what I feel, at least I am being honest. It seems that a bunch of people on this board express their feelings. When you guys worship the mighty and high UAL go get another life, it is just a job and just an airline. Any UAL pilot will atest to that and they are reevaluating their life right about now. I have been there, you guys havn't, so maybe you need to reevaluate your goals and what life is really about. BTW I watched a UAL crew load bags right next to me the other day on a 757 as both our ground handlers had a bunch of guys call in sick. Talk about earning respect that day, just three days ago they earned mine, not by how much money they make but by their willingness to work and get the job done.

Last edited:
TurboS7 said:
The real question is will the ALPA pilots show up for work to work FAR's or will there just be a work stoppage. Glad I am on the side-lines on this one.UAL pilots just might find out what it means to really work.....

Why does everyone relish the fall of the majors and the work rules and pay that they negotiated. Their concessions will have negative effect upon everyone in aviation. Everyone in aviation.

mach none- AMEN!

Turbo S7

Why did you feel the need to use the phrase "UAL pilots might find out what it means to really work"? These employees have enough stress and worries right now without reading inflammatory comments such as these on a public message board. We should be providing as much support as we can muster right now. I find this sort of attitude to be reprehensible and quite surprising given your experience in the industry.

Please keep it to yourself next time.

Latest resources

Back