• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Good news for AF pilot wannabees...LASIK approved

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I heard the Army is approving LASIK for all of its combat soldiers, and providing it, as well. Something about contacts and glasses being too hard to maintain in the desert combat environment. I then read a memo from the AF flight surgeon saying no contacts would be allowed in theater - all members had to wear their glasses. Once I got done laughing about that, I was thinking the AF should provide corrective eye surgery for all of its pilots as well. I won't hold my breath, though.

the old policy said a heavy guy could get LASIK and return to his airframe, but they had a clause in the reg that said you couldn't fly any trainer or high performance a/c with LASIK. this new policy change has lifted that restriction. guys can go fly anthing now, and this isn't just for rated guys (applicants as well now). it used to be PRK only for fighters, now LASIK is approved.

the old policy said a heavy guy could get LASIK and return to his airframe, but they had a clause in the reg that said you couldn't fly any trainer or high performance a/c with LASIK. this new policy change has lifted that restriction. guys can go fly anthing now, and this isn't just for rated guys (applicants as well now). it used to be PRK only for fighters, now LASIK is approved.

What is your source? As stated earlier, I just had my annual physical about 3 months ago and straight from the optometrist - no LASIK for fighter guys...period (PRK is ok, but puts you out of flying for about 6 months). Please let me know your official source so I can rectify it with the flight doc. Thanks.

Just curious but what is the age limit now for OTS, UPT, etc...?

Latest resources

Back