Good news for a change!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

sabreliner

Read this on Yahoo, hopefully others will follow soon!

Wednesday April 3, 3:41 pm Eastern Time
Associated Press
American Airlines to Recall Pilots

American Airlines Will Recall 208 Laid-Off Pilots Next Month Due to Gradual Increase in Air Travel
FORT WORTH, Texas (AP) -- American Airlines said Wednesday it would recall 208 laid-off pilots next month due to a gradual increase in air travel.

Karen Watson, an American Airlines spokeswoman, said the pilots would begin training sessions on May 1.

In September, American's parent, Fort Worth-based AMR Corp. (NYSE:AAR - news), announced it would cut 20,000 jobs at American, commuter airline American Eagle and Trans World Airlines, which has since been folded into American.

Fewer employees were needed because American cut its flight schedule in the face of declining travel after the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks.

Traffic has slowly increased, although it remains about 12 percent below levels of a year ago, the airline said this week.

In December, American recalled 800 reservations clerks and canceled plans to lay off another 200 pilots. Watson said details were not available on where the 208 recalled pilots were based.

In afternoon trading Wednesday, shares of AMR rose 68 cents to $24.70 on the New York Stock Exchange.

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/020403/american_pilots_1.html

Correct me if i'm wrong but aren't these the recalls that were triggered by the APA grievance that the pilots won ????

Air Canada just announced it will be hiring in May too.!

Just talked to a friend at AMR. I asked him about it and he said that the recalls were the result of the agreement between APA and AMR on the TWA merger. These recalls are because of contractual obligations that AMR has twords their pilot group and not because they have to call back pilots because of demand. Any American pilot that was hired before the official date of the AMR/TWA merger will be recalled (208). AMR could turn around and furlough 208 TWA guys but fortunetly from what my friend tells me they are not planning to do that at this time so that is good news.

Latest resources

Back