Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Good News....Delta Might Go It Alone.....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Delta Execs Say No Combination Deal Yet

Delta Execs Say No Combination Deal Yet
Delta Executives Say in Memo That There's No Combination Deal Yet That Meets All Their Goals

ATLANTA (AP) -- Delta Air Lines Inc.'s top two executives told employees Tuesday that the nation's No. 3 carrier has not yet arrived at a potential combination transaction that meets all of its principles.
ADVERTISEMENT

The memo to employees from Delta Chief Executive Richard Anderson and President Ed Bastian was issued as talks between the Atlanta-based company and Eagan, Minn.-based Northwest Airlines Corp. have been hampered by an inability by their pilots unions to reach a deal on integrating seniority lists.

The executives said the company's criteria for any potential deal include protecting the seniority of Delta employees and creating greater job security.

Other conditions include that the combined airline be called Delta and be headquartered in Atlanta. Officials familiar with the talks have said those criteria have already been met, as have most other issues, except for pilot integration.

"Rest assured that we will not complete a transaction unless all of these conditions are met," the Delta executives said in the memo. "We have a strong stand-alone plan. We will maintain our attention on executing that plan while we continue to look at strategic alternatives."

Not too long ago, Delta and Northwest seemed all but certain to announce a combination soon.

That still could happen, but the pilot impasse has jeopardized a deal. Neither side has suggested they are ready to walk away, but there has been a public and private silence in recent days from many people familiar with the deal.

Industry observers say that if a Delta-Northwest combination falls through, the two airlines could stay independent, seek a quick deal with another carrier or wait until next year to try the consolidation game again.

Yea, you're right. As soon as DAL and NWA merge, it will drive the price of oil back to $50 a barrell.....

If you say oil is the big problem, how will mergers lower the price?

It will reduce capacity and bring ticket prices back up, plain and simple. Yeah some jobs are going to be lost but that is what happens. No offense but if I were at Delta or Northwest I would get this thing done.

It will reduce capacity and bring ticket prices back up, plain and simple. Yeah some jobs are going to be lost but that is what happens. No offense but if I were at Delta or Northwest I would get this thing done.

I disagree with you. First, I don't believe it will reduce capacity by a significant amount. Second, it will only reduce Delta/NWA capacity. SWA, Airtran, Jetblue, Frontier, Spirit, etc, will add back any capacity removed by DL/NW........and more. I believe within a couple of years, DL/NW would actually be in a weaker position, certainly domestically, than they were before. The only way to prevent this would be to use the merger as a stepping stone to growth and attack the LCCs. But that's not what will happen, so I believe both pilot groups will be better off absent this merger.

I disagree with you. First, I don't believe it will reduce capacity by a significant amount. Second, it will only reduce Delta/NWA capacity. SWA, Airtran, Jetblue, Frontier, Spirit, etc, will add back any capacity removed by DL/NW........and more. I believe within a couple of years, DL/NW would actually be in a weaker position, certainly domestically, than they were before. The only way to prevent this would be to use the merger as a stepping stone to growth and attack the LCCs. But that's not what will happen, so I believe both pilot groups will be better off absent this merger.

Do you think it would be a bad thing to refocus the business to a more International mindframe and let the the SWA, Airtran, Jetblue, Frontier, Spirit, etc, fight over the $69 one way? Let them kill a few of each other off and then we come in and tackle the leftovers. Just a thought....I don't really know what will keep us alive but at a glance a merger looks good.

Do you think it would be a bad thing to refocus the business to a more International mindframe and let the the SWA, Airtran, Jetblue, Frontier, Spirit, etc, fight over the $69 one way? Let them kill a few of each other off and then we come in and tackle the leftovers. Just a thought....I don't really know what will keep us alive but at a glance a merger looks good.

Looks to me like SWA and those "leftover $69 one ways" are the only people making money consistantly...or over the last quarter for that matter. Maybe Delta should try to get SWA to buy it...or change it's business model to memick SWA's.

The big question is what happens to you and Midex chuck? I wonder if they will just liquidate the airline, or just let them die on its own. Without NW feeding them and proping them up with money, their fate seems pretty much sealed. Sad!

The big question is what happens to you and Midex chuck? I wonder if they will just liquidate the airline, or just let them die on its own. Without NW feeding them and proping them up with money, their fate seems pretty much sealed. Sad!

I don't know what will happen to Midex. They have a good product but they are owned partially by NWA. Likely stay the same..?? Liquidate ..?? I don't know and don't care, I'm a new Capt at a TX airline that is profitable and has been for awhile.

How about you?:laugh:

Oh yeah, still obessed with Chuck are you Bill? You love that guy.

BTW, your avatar is a nice blast from the past. For you, the past is about the only thing comforting when compared to what is ahead.

Last edited:
I don't know what will happen to Midex. They have a good product but they are owned partially by NWA. Likely stay the same..?? Liquidate ..?? I don't know and don't care, I'm a new Capt at a TX airline that is profitable and has been for awhile.
Chuck, since when did Midex have a base in TX? Creative, not origional, but creative!

Could have held 800 captain on last bid, but am not interested in being on reserve. I go for quality of life since the airline isn't my primary means of income!

Oh yeah, still obessed with Chuck are you Bill? You love that guy.
Not sure who Bill is, but I am pointing out the obvious, Chuck!

BTW, your avatar is a nice blast from the past. For you, the past is about the only thing comforting when compared to what is ahead.
Thanks for the kind words Chuck. I hope things work out for you at Midwest, it was a nice product, but, as you say, the past is about the only thing comforting when compared to what is ahead!
Sad!

Chuck, since when did Midex have a base in TX? Creative, not origional, but creative!

Midex doesn't but my company does. I'm not even close on the seniortiy list to holding one of our TX bases.

Could have held 800 captain on last bid, but am not interested in being on reserve. I go for quality of life since the airline isn't my primary means of income!
How about you?

I'm bringing home about 210K, so yeah my company is my primary means of income.

Not sure who Bill is, but I am pointing out the obvious, Chuck!

I know who you are. Chuck though is your deal. Remember you banned him as a moderator.

Thanks for the kind words Chuck. I hope things work out for you at Midwest, it was a nice product, but, as you say, the past is about the only thing comforting when compared to what is ahead!
Sad

My situation is pretty good . Your situation though is pretty sad, multiple usernames (I know them all), posts, infatuation with this website (How many hours do you spend on here?) and anybody who critiques Delta etc...

Tell you what Bill, don't respond to my posts.. at all and I won't respond to yours.

If you have a problem, PM me. If I have a problem or want to talk to you, I'll PM you. Got it? Bill, are you smart enough to understand this?

Midex doesn't but my company does. I'm not even close on the seniortiy list to holding one of our TX bases.
That's because Midex doesn't have any bases in TX!
l

I'm bringing home about 210K, so yeah my company is my primary means of income.
Working for Midex? Sorry Chuck, maybe you meant 120k. That's more like it!

I know who you are. Chuck though is your deal. Remember you banned him as a moderator.
Chuck, Chuck, Chuck......You have no idea who I am. You are not only liar but you are clueless......I was never a moderator, but thanks for the compliment.

My situation is pretty good . Your situation though is pretty sad, multiple usernames (I know them all),
Let's see, the user names I've had:
737 pylt......
On the other hand, you've been:
Chuck Yogurt........Banned
Lawman...........Banned
Einstein...........Banned
Texas Jet Jock........Banned
Boris Yelling..........Banned
Lame Lizard.........Banned
Sky fly????

posts, infatuation with this website (How many hours do you spend on here?) and anybody who critiques Delta etc...
Infatuation? Chucky, you'be been banned by 6 user names. On Midex' payscales, you've about tapped out your resources. You should probably take a break from being such a jerk!

Tell you what Bill, don't respond to my posts.. at all and I won't respond to yours.
Tell you what Chuck/lame/einstein.....Then why do you keep posting and responding? Your little PM over Christmas was pleasant too....I guess you forgot that you admitted to working for Midex then? You are boring. Don't go away mad, just go away!

If you have a problem, PM me. If I have a problem or want to talk to you, I'll PM you. Got it? Bill, are you smart enough to understand this?
Chuck, my name is not Bill....But I'll give you this. You've been banned more than anyone else on this forum, and you still come back for more. I'm not sure how you can afford the $10 every time, but I gotta admit, for a Midex pilot, you do keep the entertainment value to a maximum....
Thanks pal.

Latest resources

Back