• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

good article on Repulic and its road ahead

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
“The Midwest product has always produced a RASM premium over competition but at a substantial CASM premium as well. Our job was simple – could we buy company and operate it at our costs and we’ve done that. We’ve dismantled everything that was Midwest. There is no operating certificate, no unions, no anything. It is a virtual airline providing capacity sourced either through Republic with the E-Jets or Frontier with its A319s. We’ve eliminated the CASM problems and hope we retained the RASM premium.”

Yeah! No more experienced employees making livable wages. Just a bunch of hopeful kids with the foolish idea that after they attempt to crush the rest of the industry with poverty wages and e-jets, they'll be able to somehow get on with a legacy carrier and then bitch about how everybody else who flies an RJ is ruining the industry. Welcome to the new "entitlement" generation of pilots.

“the midwest product has always produced a rasm premium over competition but at a substantial casm premium as well. Our job was simple – could we buy company and operate it at our costs and we’ve done that. We’ve dismantled everything that was midwest. There is no operating certificate, no unions, no anything. It is a virtual airline providing capacity sourced either through republic with the e-jets or frontier with its a319s. We’ve eliminated the casm problems and hope we retained the rasm premium.”

yeah! No more experienced employees making livable wages. Just a bunch of hopeful kids with the foolish idea that after they attempt to crush the rest of the industry with poverty wages and e-jets, they'll be able to somehow get on with a legacy carrier and then bitch about how everybody else who flies an rj is ruining the industry. Welcome to the new "entitlement" generation of pilots.

read below in red!

Cya

“The Midwest product has always produced a RASM premium over competition but at a substantial CASM premium as well. Our job was simple – could we buy company and operate it at our costs and we’ve done that. We’ve dismantled everything that was Midwest. There is no operating certificate, no unions, no anything. It is a virtual airline providing capacity sourced either through Republic with the E-Jets or Frontier with its A319s. We’ve eliminated the CASM problems and hope we retained the RASM premium.”

Yeah! No more experienced employees making livable wages. Just a bunch of hopeful kids with the foolish idea that after they attempt to crush the rest of the industry with poverty wages and e-jets, they'll be able to somehow get on with a legacy carrier and then bitch about how everybody else who flies an RJ is ruining the industry. Welcome to the new "entitlement" generation of pilots.

I pray every day for Republic to be crushed like the cockroach it is! These guys are trying to become the MESA of the 100+ seat market. I hear AirTran is throwing everything they have at these scumbags-trying to put them out of business....
-For the sake of what is left of this industry, I sincerely hope AirTran is successful in crushing these sorry bastards!

Yeah! No more experienced employees making livable wages.

Why is that so hard to believe? If Midwest MANAGEMENT was so great, how did it end up sold to a competitor and a equity firm? And then thrown away to Republic? If Midwest MANAGEMENT would have run Midwest successfully, you would have little time to blame the Republic pilots for this.

I love how you are all blaming the pilots. It's a playbook that management has that the pilots created for them. Wonder why things never get better? Find a mirror.

My qualifier:

On the flipside, Bedford is no dummy, and Don Burr was the darling of Deregulation. Time will tell for the former.

Wow...the last paragraph is VERY true!!!! Completely sums it up!

They will do anything to get there, and in the process blame everyone else for "stealing" flying except for their company, because its ok for them.... all in the name of "getting what they need to move on" ....the reality will be them (along with thousands of others at many regionals) will end up stuck there for their entire careers.

Skill and luck are two very different things.

Last edited:
Why is that so hard to believe? If Midwest MANAGEMENT was so great, how did it end up sold to a competitor and a equity firm? And then thrown away to Republic? If Midwest MANAGEMENT would have run Midwest successfully, you would have little time to blame the Republic pilots for this.

I love how you are all blaming the pilots. It's a playbook that management has that the pilots created for them. Wonder why things never get better? Find a mirror.

My qualifier:

On the flipside, Bedford is no dummy, and Don Burr was the darling of Deregulation. Time will tell for the former.

I don't blame the pilots at all. I wasn't some wonder child whose dad was a check airman for a major and got me a job nor did I come out of the military and walk right over to a major airline. I worked at a commuter first, just like the majority of my peers. However, I didn't want to crush the company we did feed for because I wanted to work for that company. I actually loved my regional job because I knew it was a stop on the path to a better job and I never expected to get major airline pay, benefits, or work rules. I could have stayed there and the life style would have gotten good but I knew if I left, eventually it would be better. Frankly, I think airlines would be better off if they did ALL the flying in-house. Start on a turbo-prop and retire on the wide body.

What's you opinion of Frontier? Bedford even said that company would be successful if they where left alone.

I pray every day for Republic to be crushed like the cockroach it is! These guys are trying to become the MESA of the 100+ seat market. I hear AirTran is throwing everything they have at these scumbags-trying to put them out of business....
-For the sake of what is left of this industry, I sincerely hope AirTran is successful in crushing these sorry bastards!

The irony here is that you could replace republic with airtran/valujet and have made the same argument not so long ago. Airtran, LUV, Jetblue etc. have had a devastating impact on major airline pilot wages over the past two decades. Now they are the saviors? The irony!

Competition's a b!tch-

But this isn't a what came first- the chicken or the egg scenario. Major airlines allowed outsourcing to get out of control- and now that decision is coming back to haunt you. Big surprise. No major has been hiring due to outsourcing the majors allowed- keep that flying in house and the requirements would have been adjusted to fill classes.

Blame the kids all you want- but it still begins with major airline pilots negotiating away flying.

"...Frankly, I think airlines would be better off if they did ALL the flying in-house. Start on a turbo-prop and retire on the wide body."

Ironicly, that's exactly what the origional Frontier was doing back in the late 70's, when they operated their own small fleet of three Twin Otters on short-haul routes and fed their Denver hub. Some new hires went to the Otter, others to the Convair.

Southern Airways also operated a rather large fleet of 15+ Metro II's during the 70's, flown by their pilots, and fed their ATL hub.

Piedmont Airlines flew the F-28 using mainline pilots during the mid-80's, doing hub flying as well as point to point service to many places, including an intra-Florida shuttle.

Latest resources

Back