Good AME in Houston area

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

El Piloto Chido

I posted this under medical- but nooo response. So, can anybody recommend a 'fair and balanced' AME in HOU? Preferably west side, or Katy area. It'll be a class one with EKG. Thanks in advance.

I am in the Katy area. Do not go to Bartsch in Katy, nothing personal but he does not do very many FAA physicals.

I was recommended Dr. Max Butler in the Galleria area. Don't have the address but phone # is 713-266-7673. Older guy, very nice, casual, he gets it. I will use him till he retires.

I am in southern Katy and with the Westpark Tollway took about 20 min to get there.

Good luck.

I know 2 on the Southeast side around the Clear Lake area. PM me if you want their addresses.

Do not go to Dr Martin in Tomball. He will throw you under the bus if the Feds start asking questions. More than just finding a "fair" AME, also look for one who will fight for you in the event a medical condition is discovered.

Thanks, I might try Butler. Will stay away from Tomball.

Right on target! It's best to have a doc who'll back you up incase something pops up down the road. Someone who knows the paperwork, ect. Thanks.

Any other docs to recommend?

If you have a medical issue or any hick-ups you are concerned about with the FAA, use Hal (Doc) Conwell up in Huntsville. You can consult him prior to the medical and he WILL fix any issue with the FAA. If it wasn't for Doc, half of the Continental Airlines seniority list would be on medical retirement. When you call, ask for Harry, he can answer most of your questions or concerns. Trust me, it's worth the drive.

Dr. Conwell, H.R.
FAA Medical
(936) 295-5222
Huntsville TX

P.S. Eat the donuts and coffee after the EKG!

Do not go to Dr Martin in Tomball. He will throw you under the bus if the Feds start asking questions. More than just finding a "fair" AME, also look for one who will fight for you in the event a medical condition is discovered.

Can you expand on this?

I know people who have gone to the guy for years and have nothing but good things to say about him.

Last edited:
Can you expand on this?

I know people who have gone to the guy for years and have nothing but good things to say about him.

I've heard from a few (5 or so) guys who had some sort of abnormal issue come up on their medical and were not happy with Dr Martin's performance. Some of the quotes were "afraid of the Feds, threw me under the bus, did not fight for me...".

I had a minor issue that only required a simple explanation to Ok City and he was a bit skittish on that. After that experience, combined with the warnings I had heard previously, I decided to look elsewhere.

I'm not one to hide any conditions from the FEDs or look for an AME that will go so easy that critical health issues are hidden or not uncovered. I want to know about any health problems I might have as soon as possible & I will be honest about it with the FEDs. (that's why I have disability insurance) I just want a doc that will stand up to the bureaucratic monster that is the FAA aeromedical office.

I went to Martin for two different Medicals. Didn't care for him or his staff all that much. Started going to Richard Conway down in Friendswood. Super easy going MD, understands what we do, and WILL work with you. He also take most insurance, you just pay the copay.

Richard Conway, M.D.
Friendswood Medical Arts Clinic
Friendswood, TX
(281) 482-7555

Started going to Richard Conway down in Friendswood. Super easy going MD, understands what we do, and WILL work with you. He also take most insurance, you just pay the copay.

This.

Latest resources

Back