Going to Africa

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

jafo20

I'm gonna be going on a 1 year deployment to Nigeria soon. Anybody, especially those of you who have worked expat jobs, have advice? Thanks in advance.

Yeah, find the dude(s) that keep buggin' me to help out their rich uncle, father, etc. and punch 'em in the throat for me.....please.

nigeria

:) If this is your first posting overseas, and especially since you are going to the worst possible *#ithole on the planet, and anybody who has been there will agree, the following might help.
Your contract: Make sure it is exactly, repeat exactly what you want, do not leave anything to a gray area, salary, plain and simple, and make sure that the salary quoted is put in your hand, the TT charges might be a bit, but the salary should be the currency that you are going to bank, in your hand.
Accomidation; a compound that is acceptable by both you and your employer, all utilities, fully furnished, with security, especially considering your location, and other expats who can fill you in on the does and don'ts. A car and driver is manditory. Medical insurance that covers you at all times. A plane ticket once a year to and from your place of hire, and agreeable holiday leave.
The company should also supply you with a handphone to save your ass if required. All calls that relate in any way to the job, they pay for!
Get a copy of the contract and run it by someone who has spent overseas time in less than exotic places who can advise you of something you might have misssed. I just recently signed another contract overseas, and had a local friend change it to the way it should be considering the position. Once you sign it, it is up to you to produce, and the contract is your bible so to speak.

I wish you luck, I think I would rather do a tour within 25 miles of Bagdad than the garden spot your going to call home, make sure they are paying you plenty!
X man

Last edited:
Paramount, that's all you've got for him? Let the rest of us in, sounds interesting.

Visa - working in Nigeria without the proper papers is illegal and you could end up in jail. (See the other thread.) They often will tell you they are giving you a full visa, but when you look carefully it is only for a single entry/exit. You can get into the country with your pilot's certificate, but you cannot do any work whatsoever without the proper papers (bribes). So, if the Immigration guy walks into the office and sees you on the computer, he will claim you are working. Then the fun begins...

Insurance - don't step foot in Nigeria without a medical evacuation insurance policy! I can't be more serious about this.

Are you going to the oil fields? Who are you going to be flying for? Rotary or fixed-wing? The oil companies have the system pretty much figured out, but you still need to listen and learn from the other ex-pats down there to stay out of harm's way.

Good luck. It can be an eye-opening experience and can actually be a lot of fun if you have the right attitude.

Latest resources

Back