• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

going paperless with the iPad

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
No matter what chart software you end up using, the situational awareness that the iPad will give you is priceless. I was used to Jepp binders as well from the 121 world, but I've gotten used to the new plates on the iPad. Let me tell you, when you see your little blue airplane flying around on the approach plate view, and driving down the taxiway on your 10-9 chart, you'll grin every time. In regards to the arrival and approach plate not showing together on the iPad, there is some truth to that (at least with ForeFlight) but rarely is an issue. The Seavu arrival into LAX came to mind when I first read that, as I remembered how fixes on the end of the arrival to ILS25L (for example) overlapped onto the approach plate for 25L (Jepp paper). And also with Foreflight, I found it odd that the SIDs and STARs were the only display that doesn't show the little aircraft icon moving along the airway. Where as all the High Enroutes, approach plates and taxi diagrams show your jet trucking right along.

And with anything digital, just get used to having them fully charged all the time. The geo-positioning feature hits the battery pretty hard, and you may or may not have an AC Charger plug in your cockpit. I personally am an Apple fan, but as anyone here with at least an iPhone knows, sometimes they freeze up and requite the "hard reset." I have had an iPad act up once or twice up there, but nothing limiting. Someone mentioned it above, but it is easy to print off the charts, which I have done on occasion in crazy-busy environments just in case.

I've been using Fujitsu tablets and would like to switch to IPads. What are you using for GPS to show AC position on georeferenced charts on the IPad? Thanks in advance.

Depends on your aircraft. The built-in GPS does well in planes without heated windshields. Otherwise a standalone GPS is needed and I understand there are several out now that work well. I forget the names but I know there have been discussions on here. Bad Elf, etc....

Having tried a couple of the GPS units... The only one that I would recommend is the GPS150. It works... It works really well. Behind heated windscreens(900EX), side windows.... and it comes with a nice silicon pad/mat that keeps it from sliding all over the dash.

You need one per iPad... Amazon is your friend.

I have found that the iPad 2 gps works much better than th iPad 1 under heated windshield's. BeechJet and Hawker. The iPad 1 works fine if you start the gps on the ground and keep it on the entire flight. The iPad 2 gps will grab on at any time. A big plus! Now I just wish it was easier to get wx on the iPad.

Last edited:
I would agree, the iPad 2 GPS seems to be much more reliable than the iPad 1 internal GPS. We have just made the transition from Jeppesen to iPads with gov't charts. We chose to go with ForeFlight over Jeppesen Mobile FD due to the greater functionality of the ForeFlight app. We are also using the Baron Mobile Link to display our XM weather on ForeFlight. So far this setup has been a phenomenal user experience compared to our old Fujitsu EFBs.

Actually, the wingx app includes approach charts, so it's $99 per year with charts. If you want those charts "geo-refereanced", you have to pay "Seattle Avionics" an additional $75 per year for that capability with wingx.

So Wingx for four pilots = $400; With "geo-referancing", it's $700....

We purchased one WingX subscription and installed it on 3 iPads. Works just fine. It has a lot of features not available in JeppTC or FD, but using both programs you have just about everything covered.

http://skyradar.net/

Only one antenna for $950 utilizing ADS-B to give you NEXRAD, METARs, etc. No subscription cost like XM(just the tax dollars you pay). Coverage now is OK, but supposed to be completed by 2013. So far Foreflight doesn't have the capability(WingX does) but I'd assume they will have compatibility by the time coverage is complete. I'm no expert on this but it looks pretty interesting so far.

Latest resources

Back