• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Going Hat in Hand to SWA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
As weird as this is, I'm gonna have to agree with SWA/FO. You got a long shot. Sorry to sound crude, but they do remember everything. By the way, what will calling the people department really do? The receptionist, or maybe if you are lucky, a recruiter, will tell of course tell you to try. I think you are asking a question you already know an answer to.

Isn't it possible that what you and SWA/FO think must be the logical company line, i.e. "no chance", might not actually be the case? Read the posts here - it really has been happening. Sure it's an uphill battle, and I'm sure not in great numbers, but it's not impossible. DAL friend of mine was offered jobs at both SWA and Delta back in 2000. He went to Delta. He quit Delta for SWA earlier this year.

It seems that unlike the leadership at FDX, Southwest understands that much has changed in our profession since 9/11. Rather than make a blanket 'no hire' policy in these cases, they still seem to try to hire the best people for their company. I know some will blast this assesment too, so fire away.

So, to the original question that started this thread - give it a shot. Odds are against you, but not impossible as some of the LUV posters on here would lead you to believe.

In 2001 I was hired by SWA and AA. For a couple of reasons, perhaps brain death was one of them, I went with AA--and got axed in the first wave of furloughs. I went back on active duty AF and will retire next year. I'm thinking of applying to SWA again. Has anybody out there gone back begging to SWA after turning down their original offer of employment? How would you handle the situation during a second interview? Is this something I should call SWA about before applying?

I'm non-current on where all the good SWA gouge is hiding on the internet. Any suggested resources would be appreciated. Best of luck to all of you.

Well, we know what your chances will be if you don't apply.

Apply and find out!

Good Luck

I turned down an offer from SWA back in 2000 and went to another airline. At the time I had more guys at SWA telling me to take the major job then telling me to come to SWA. 4 1/2 years later, while on on the street, I interviewed again and was asked if I had a problem giving up my number. I said no! 3 weeks later I was given a second chance. I'm now at SWA with no regrets. They will give you a second chance. Just be honest with any questions they may ask. They understand the difficult choices we have had to make. Best of luck!

The guy we had leave and come back most certainly didn't go to another airline. He was ultra senior (25+) years, young and though he could day trade his millions into billions. Lost it all, made a few phone calls and came back a couple years ago at the bottom.

Gup

Actually we have 1 guy who left for another carrier and came back. He was a capt. at SWA when he left. He is now at SWA swinging gear. The only guy who left and was able to come back but I don't know the special circumstances. If you where in class here your hosed but if you just turned down an offer your still in the game but it wont be easy. Good luck.

What Gup said he did not go to another airline. He last his as# in the market, his wife left him ect. He was and is a great guy and SWA is lucky to have him back.

No clue? How do you know? I've been slaving away with you here for a long time now.

Ive been a slave before, and SWA lifestyle is not slaving at all. I do feel you work hard but its very productive with good overnights and lots of days off.

Cant make everyone happy i guess...

SWA will give you another look. What matters is how you paint the picture, in terms of what your decision making process was at the time you turned down the offer, be candid and truthful you might be surprised by the result.
L79

Mandrake,

First of all sorry things haven't worked out as planned for thanks for your service. A couple of thoughts that might be useful.

Folks who have been offered jobs (no kidding new hire dates) & then turned them down have been brought back....very few & as some have said the explanations that go with those stories are critical. This type of scenario would in my opinion only be the toughest hurdle to overcome short of those who were on the property, left & then requested to come back.

If you were interviewed & then placed in the "pool" for a future date & then went to AA & called up SWA to let them know, "remove me from the pool", that is also difficult but understandable.....more of these types (again not a large number but not as big a hurdle as above) have been called back.

Assuming you fall into one of these categories then anything is possible. Assuming you have buds that will write good letters, go after a type (not required by any means but shows a desire....high risk, low returned since you may be out money if not hired but a thought anyway) & are willing to be turned down one or more times without giving up. If AA was to start recalling or you only wanted to try once & then not reapply...my thoughts would be to save your money & not reapply. Never say never might apply here but it depends on how much energy & desire you have....again thanks for your service. cheers,

Since were talking odds here...

What are the odds of someone with a "law violation" on their record getting an interview/hired at SWA?

Personally speaking I have a Minor in Possession charge from college 12 yrs ago. Otherwise, my record is clean. Would it be prudent to spend $7K for a type in this situation?

SkyPilot: Your "Minor in Possession" is negligible if it's alcohol and it didn't expand into any big silliness from there. Been there done that...(keg party in the dorm freshman year of college). I'd guess a couple (or more) of the SWA HQ/Flight Ops/Mx/Personnel/Provisioning/Gate Agent gang has gotten the same style of ticket (or was in the vicinity and just didn't get caught at some keg party along the way). The Southwest individual knows how to have a good time when the time is right (ouch...that opens the flood gates for negative comments), and they spent years perfecting that talent. They'll see it in your application (they'd better...because if they find it and think you're hiding it they may not call for an interview), then they'll see it in your background check. If they ask, explain it and show how you learned your lesson, and be yourself in the whole interview. They didn't ask me about something that had happened 20+ years before. They make their decision based on the whole interview and research (letters of rec, contacts, etc.). Good Luck...

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back